I Forge Iron

Buffalo forge firepot - fixable?

Good evening everyone.

I picked up a Buffalo forge the other day, came with a functioning blower and is a solid setup - with the exception of the firepot assembly. I knew this, and have no problem fabbing a replacement firepot, which I am currently doing until I figure out if the firepot can be saved. I really like the idea of fixing and using the original firepot as it honors the original forge design, but the firepot is beyond my ability to deal with. The gentlemen I bought it from, a blacksmith and experienced troubleshooter himself had shied away from it. I did some research in looking at the process for preparing cast iron for welding, or making changes as such, do not think I should attempt it given breaking it moreso than it already is.

What do these pictures mean to you guys? Anyone think I should run with trying to save this firepot? What would you do with the firepot?

Thank you.

IMG_0703.JPG

IMG_0704.JPG

IMG_0708.JPG

IMG_0711.JPG

IMG_0713.JPG

IMG_0715.JPG

IMG_0710.JPG

Do you have proof that it is the original firepot?  They were considered a replaceable item during the day...

If you want to be using the forge as a forge---fab a firepot!   If it's a "decoration" you can try cast iron welding, nickel welding or brazing on it.

POt itself looks like it might still be in reasonable shape. It looks like the tuere is what is broken. You might be able to drill out the old bolts and retap for new studs and salvage the pot and clinker breaker. As far as the tuere, that would depend on how good a welder you are, but it should be possible to fab a new tuere if need be.

To me it looks like the pot has already been repaired at least once and has a pretty good gap of missing material on one side of the lip.  That would be tough to fill in with a good repair (at least for me), but you could maybe drill some holes and put a strap over the missing material.  I have no experience welding cast iron, so if I were trying to repair it brazing would be what I would try.

Thank you guys for the replies. I am reaching out to a couple local guys to see if they wanted to take a crack at it. It seems to me the preheat/weld/controlled-cooling method is the best way to go, heard of other recommendations involving nickel rod and laying down short and quick beads.

Yeah it is indeed missing material on the sidewall near the lip, it looks like it was somewhat addressed prior. Although the pictures do nto show it, I would say that about 70% of the material in that area i missing, and that section itself appears to be slightly warped.

Repair it only as a lark to see if you can be successful.  I've had both good and bad luck welding cast "the wrong way" so you never know if this might be the one that works without all the fuss.  

Not worth putting in the effort of a proper cast iron repair (unless you count the learning experience).  Sometimes it's nice to try the harder stuff just because it's hard and you learn stuff for the future.  You can fab your own for little money or buy a brand new cast pot without the faults for not horrible money.

Stainless wire is cheaper than nickel and is often a solution.  Some people also swear by "Crown Alloys Royal 44-30 Premium Nickel-Iron-Manganese MIG Wire", saying it works well without fuss--runs about $ 80 USD for 2 pounds and MIG is an easy process if you have the machine available.  I've never tried it but there have been some real raves about it at times when you search the web.  I'd avoid any of the brazing methods for obvious reasons.

That kind of fire pot is an absolute curse.  You'll be switching to gas in no time if you don't get something better.  They are clinker makers, not clinker breakers.  Throw the thing out.  For thousands of years blacksmiths got along well without those things.  And then along came the foundries...

• 1 month later...

Looks like the original fire pot to me. I have the same model forge, but there was only enough fire pot left too get the idea for the boiler makers at my place of work to fabricate a new one out of bissalloy. They did a great job, only cost me a carton of cider !! . Cast iron is a difficult prospect especially as it has been exposed to extreme heat over a long period, I remember a late mate saying that as with old car exhaust manifolds, sometimes the iron burns out of the cast making it impossible to weld.  I am very happy with my forge.