I Forge Iron

Forged Hand Rail Insert

Double Y

This is a hand rail project I wrapped up last week.

The pickets are 5/8" solid bar.  I broke the edges and hand twisted.  The pickets alternate one twist or two twists.

I riveted the pickets to the top and bottom rail, but blind plug welded the bottoms of the rivets.  I needed the top to be completely flat to fit into a groove on the wooden hand rail.  I also wanted a slight amount of flex so the railing could be slid into place.

I had the works powder coated an oil rubbed bronze.

Comments welcome and appreciated. 

John

1.0.jpg

2.0.jpg

3.0.jpg

4.0.jpg

5.0.jpg

6.0.jpg

7.0.jpg

8.0.jpg

9.0.jpg

10.0.jpg

11.0.jpg

12.0.jpg

13.0.jpg

14.0.jpg

15.0.jpg

16.0.jpeg

17.0.jpeg

18.0.jpeg

I like it--doesn't over-do the decoration while still having enough to give some visual interest.

My only qualm is that in the USA, it creates a building code violation between the bottom rail and the steps.  Not that I care (and I happen to love most funky rails/stairs that violate code--code compliance often results in ugly) but in case someone wants to contract a job like this, they should be aware that there is some risk of being told to rip it down or fix the violation.  Just a reminder that in any business venture, you need awareness of what might come back to bite you and to weigh the possible consequences (or have a plan B from the get-go to correct if forced to do so)

Kozzy,

You peaked my interest.  What code violation are you seeing?  The triangle piece formed by the bottom rail of the handrail?

The way I understand it, as long as a 6 inch ball cannot pass through the opening it is fine.

Am I missing something?

JL

cd9cb5d7a3787690a947889def4a677e.jpg

I appear to have been wrong--thought the triangular stair opening was also limited by the 4" ball rule rather than 6".  That's what happens when you rely on a rusted brain instead of looking it up.  I checked both IRC and UBC and they appear to agree (sometimes they don't) so I guess I have to face the firing squad on this one.