I Forge Iron

Treadle Hammer PLans

Try searching on your own and educating yourself and learning the RIGHT question to ask, instead of asking everyone to do everything for you, then paraphrase it.

That's what he's doing. Not to give him any excuses because I know there is info out there on this, but isn't the reason the website is here is to research the collective knowledge we've built up? And there are lots of websites that lead people astray. I for one would rather take a couple seconds and type it out, WITHOUT the chastising, than hear on the news about a kid copycating something he read on the internet and getting hurt. Gives us a bad reputation IMO.

Sam forgot to mention a safety tip in his post, but I remember him saying that you should run a cable through the spring and tighten it so that the hammer doesn't fall completely if the spring should snap.

Actually that BP has been removed and you now have to purchase the plans through the IFI website. I have done this and think that other than the photo copier quality of the pictures, the plans are worth the $20. Knowing exactly what sizes of steel that you need and a drawn diagram of the device make a world of difference.

Sam forgot to mention a safety tip in his post, but I remember him saying that you should run a cable through the spring and tighten it so that the hammer doesn't fall completely if the spring should snap.

I believe the safety cable was to keep the snapped spring from slamming against a body part, not to keep the hammer from dropping. The cable has to be long enough to allow the hammer to fully descend when striking.

I believe the safety cable was to keep the snapped spring from slamming against a body part, not to keep the hammer from dropping. The cable has to be long enough to allow the hammer to fully descend when striking.

I think I had them quote 12" x 20" by 1/4" It was around $12 just for that. I'm thinking I should go to 1/2 " for the plate though.

1/2" is DEFINATELY the way to go, 24$ I hope you can spring for that option larry;). A GREAT base would be to set it up on your 1.4 base, then build a wood form around and about 8 or 9 inches tall, and pour concrete. You could probably get away with 1/4 for the base but you would have to bolt it down to keep it from going anywhere. And yes the cable was to keep the spring not if but when it does break from smashing into your face or body and doing sever damage.

MBrothers, check out ABANA for Clay Spencer's inline treadle hammer plans. Clay Spencer also had plans for sale at one time for a swing arm type treadle hammer. Google Bob Warner of Warner Knifes (?). He sells plans for the treadle hammer pictured on his web page.

• 1 year later...