I Forge Iron

Vulcan body Ajax logo anvil???

You probably need to contact Richard Postman author of Anvils in America for an expert opinion.  He lives in the USA.   That anvil would not have much using appeal to me as it looks at best like a vulcan and at worst an ASO.  (Yes it's neat to look at with that logo; but most folks here are anvil USERS not anvil collectors!)

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I believe this is a Vulcan anvil made at the Columbus forge in the late 1800s or early 1900s? Because I could not find  exact info on the anvil itself I started researching the Ajax name and the picture on it. People told me Trenton Ajax anvils were also made at the Columbus forge. It doesn't have the look of a Trenton. After a lot of research I believe it was made to be some sort of commemorative to a French gunship named the Ajax from the late 1700s which became a trade ship in the 1800s. The embossed logo also depicts a sailor or captain with lightning bolts striking behind him. Many years ago I googled many variations of this picture and came across some history of a captain sailing in the storm that sailed on the Ajax. I believe this is what the anvil depicts although I do not have any guaranteed proof and wish I would have copied some of this info as I found it. This may help with your research on this anvil. Mine is marked with a 6. Hope this will help someone?

Ajax or Aias is a Greek mythological hero, the son of King Telamon and Periboea, and the half-brother of Teucer. He plays an important role, and is portrayed as a towering figure and a warrior of great courage in Homer's Iliad and in the Epic Cycle  wikipedia

Were you thinking of Atlas the Titan?

The Iliad actually has two characters named Ajax/Aias (keep in mind that neither Greek nor Latin has a distinct letter "J", but used the letter "I" for both "I" and "J"), one of whom is the towering figure mentioned above. The other is called "Aias the Lesser" or "Little Aias" and has a decent supporting role, but not as clearly heroic.