I Forge Iron

Sword 1.7m long

Valentin

Ok...finaly i have the chance to make a real sword ! An Italian importan customer asked me to manufacture a large sword of about 1.7meters long 65 melimeter wide. The problem is as some of you may know i have never made a sharp pointey object that looks like a sword or knife :) I wante it to be beuitful not necesarly usefull as i know the sword will stay just at display so it won't be in use. This is why i think i will make it of mild steel (second reason is caz most of the material i can buy in stock is mild steel). Any tips about making it are apreciated ... i think about starting from a square 25x25 wide but this is a real chalange for me. Any help about how i should make it and look good is apreciated.Remember i have no experience about making swords :)

Yes Albion is the world's best production swords company, they are some of the finest swords in the world, even better than a few custom maker's swords. Best advice is, make the sword how you think it should look, if it is not going to be used then it can be 100% artistic, wether you base the design from your head or from historical models.

If it's going to be outside the question is rather how long before it starts to rust. It will ahve to be repainted/waxed on a regular basis. Stainless is the way to go.

BTW when researching oversized overweighted non-using swords look for "Bearing Swords" Swords that were carried before a King or other VIP to indicate their power. There are a good number in existance from Renaissance times.

It's called a blood groove. It's not so much to allow the blood to pour out but to keep the sword from getting stuck inside the body. (i.e. quick removal so you can stick the next guy!)

It also serves to lighten the blade while maintaining its strength ;)

It's called a blood groove. It's not so much to allow the blood to pour out but to keep the sword from getting stuck inside the body. (i.e. quick removal so you can stick the next guy!)

That was an old wive's tale. The groove was known as a fuller, bloodgroove is not the right term:mad:. As Mende said it was to lighten and improve the sword's balance.

It's funny though, it was all those sword fantasies that I read growing up that kept a long held spark of interest in blacksmithing that got me to take that first course a few years ago. Now I find I'm not so interested in making swords. I've made one short sword out of mild steel but don't really have the interest in making any now. I'm more interested in practical items. Making tools, household items.............