I Forge Iron

propane forge lining buitin nozzle

Hi,

I'm just starting learning about propane forges, reading the old threads and various articles so be patient.

From what I understand burners are sized to suit the forge chamber volume, but big burners can be somewhat tuned down to serve a small forge.

I'm considering a propane tank forge (mainly because I have a tank I could use and weed burner), if I go that route I'd like to create the nozzle directly into the lining and take off the one on the weed burner (I will still need it to burn weeds afterwards).

Occasionally I will need to block part of the chamber to get down to a 2bricks setup kind of chamber size. Are there particular considerations in design and positioning/orientation of the builtin nozzle I should take into account? is it even worth the effort or its easier to just have a separate 2bricks forge? And finally in a 2bricks forge can a standard torch like the Bernzomatic UL2317 be used with a big propane tank?

Right now Im using 4 fire bricks, the hard ones, and the weed burner, I'd need something more efficient and less precarious but, for various reasons, I have to use what I have at hand.

If these questions are all been already asked I'll delete them... from a search it doesnt seem so but I will have to spend several weekends to go through all the info in the forum

Welcome aboard, Van Doren. That' a logical idea but it won't work. There's no need to reinvent a propane tank forge, just pick a set of plans and follow them. Innovating before you know how these things work isn't a good way to get up and running in a reasonable length of time. However if you just like tinkering with tool making why not?

I'm not sure what you mean by, "from what I understand burners are sized to chamber volume." The basic rule of thumb ratio: "1 ea. well tuned 3/4" burner to 300-350 cu/in volume, depending on shape," has been said hundreds of times just by me. I've also laid out the rule of thumb ratio for 1/2" and 1" burners. Is that not plain enough? Do you really need confirmation that they can be turned down within reason?

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, sorry the sentence "considering a propane tank forge etc etc" cut the paragraph in half and I dont seem to be allowed to edit it

What I meant is: if in a propane tank forge I sometimes reduce the size of the chamber (for example sliding some firebrics inside) will the burner in the forge still work or I dont have much freedom in how much I can turn it down (just to put a number lets say I have ONLY a 3/4" burner available) and the only possibility is having a second smaller burner (and at that point its easier to have a second smaller forge like a 2bricks with its own burner)?

PS: the local fire dept wouldnt like much an homemade burner, thats one of the reasons Im a bit stuck with certain things

Okay, the answer is yes, but do it differently. Instead of a single 3/4" burner, go for two 1/2" burners, placed so as to divide the interior up into three equal spaces. Such an arrangement will allow the full use of the forge, but will also allow one of the two burners to be turned off, and the other one to be turned down far enough(with the internal baffles you propose) two rival any two brick forge for economy.

Dump the idea of using your weed burner.

By the way, you may be new at this, but the general idea is brilliant!!!

Sorry, I came across more crossly than I intended. You can adjust both the burner output and the forge volume. Movable baffles are a tried and true method. You can only turn a burner down so far though, getting a 3/4" burner to operate well in 150 cu/in would require some masterful tuning and even then it's iffy.

I'm with Mike, build a couple 1/2" burners and space them as suggested. Teenylittlemetalguy has been running 1/2" T burners in a 2 brick forge with a volume of maybe 50 to 60cu/in and it rocks.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks guys, thats some very useful info.
It seems the more I read about these things the more questions come up in my head... and there is a surprising lack of general informations regarding burners and all their components.

No; not so surprising. There are two burner markets; the one you're most familiar with is pretty much made up of armatures, how don't no much to till about. The one you'd like to hear from is made up of professionals who don't dare say anything, or they would end up look for new jobs.