I Forge Iron

Damascus with bandsaw blade and pallet strapping

Half of getting a good forge weld for damascus is cleaning and prepping the surfaces. Definately get the paint off the strapping, and then get all the layers tight together before you put the first heat to it. Flux liberally around the edges when you've just got enough heat to melt the flux and before any oxidization can occur and you're more than half way to getting a good weld.

This prep is more important for the first weld than for any other, because you're welding X layers instead of welding 2 layers after the first weld when you fold it over, so there are X/2 more chances for a bad weld or inclusion.

I give ALL the surfaces to be welded a quick wizz on the linisher so youve got really clean metal. It takes 15 mins or less for a billets worth, but compared to spending the next 4 hours welding and folding only to find a defect its time well spent.

Ive had reasonable success with bandsaw blades and pallet strap. If you can find the 1" wide pallet strap its alledgedly better (higher carbon) steel.

Do I need to worry about paint on the strapping? I snagged some stuff from work today that was black and looked like it might have been painted. I'm planning to cut everything into 10" pieces and tack weld the ends.

When I first started pattern welding, this was the combination of materials that I used. I found no need to remove the paint. Heat is the best cleaner, and proper use of it and flux will take care of it. None of the inclusions I have ever had could be attributed to the paint.

10 inch sections is a pretty beefy size, I'd probably start smaller. When you tack weld the ends, I wouldn't fill the entire end. I'd run 1 or 2 lines across all the layers. Anytime that I've seen the entire end filled with weld, there were usually inclusions at the ends where the flux couldn't escape.

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

It can vary; I suggest getting a sample and doing the heat-quench(in water)-break test. If it breaks it will have enough carbon in it to help out the billet. If it bends you may want to juice up the billet with an old file or two as a carbon donor.

As a general rule the more likely failure would result in *bad* problems the more likely the steel will be "better" so pallet strapping for empty plastic bottles is often a lot less "nice" than pallet strapping for heavy pipe or RR ties.

this is a little piece that I started last night, and finished this evening. its not knife shaped yet.

Its bandsaw blade and thin steel cut from an old cabinet. Believe it or not theres 6 hours work in this one lil bit of steel from start to where it is now (and that with a hydraulic press :) - im still a newby though!

the knifemakers might see what I was trying for before the final stack slipped over itself on the draw out to blade shape... :) - think its kinda funky even though it deviated from plan slightly.

29012008681.jpg