I Forge Iron

Trenton question

Found a Trenton anvil in a shop today (junk shop).  $4 a pound not a bad price to start at.  I could barely make out the Trenton diamond and the Tr.. What scared me off was at the waist ( the narrow area right above where the anvil spreads to the feet) there were two distinct beads where it had been welded.  That has to be a repair right?  Anvil had no ring rebound was about 60% as I had the bb but no tape measure.  Under the horn on the foot it was marked on the left side 150 and on the right Axxxxxxx99 with the middle numbers scraped and unreadable there.  There was also a lot of marks on the feet that stopped at the weld.  I should have walked away from this right?

Mine also has a weld line along the waist-not sure if it is normal. Mine does have a decent ring to it.

Littleblacksmith

Heres some pics.

IMG_4537[1].JPG

IMG_4538[1].JPG

Littleblacksmith, could you take some close-up pics of the Trenton stamp on the side, and another pic of the serial number on the front foot under the horn?  I'd like to add it to the logo database vs serial number.

Mine is a welded waist as well. thats how they made the ones with the steel top. I love my Trenton the most and have almost 100% rebound. I also have a Hay Budden with a welded waist. it has less rebound but still another great anvil. but my Trenton will ding a hammer if i have an off hit.

In case you want pics of mine Black Frog. The logo is almost not even there but here's some pics. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Well ...............  Guess I shoulda ask that question earlier in the day.  Lack of any ring and the weld made me pause.  I'll be back down there in a couple of weeks but I bet it will be gone.  Easy come easy go.  I'll know next time.  

Thanks All

better to be safe than sorry I guess.

Littleblacksmith

The more recently constructed trenton anvil were all arc welded at the base and some have a very distinctive weld line. I had a near mint 150lb Trenton made in 1943 that showed a complete weld line around the middle with no grinding or cleanup. If I can find a picture of it I'll post it. That being said with only a 60% rebound and no ring you were smart to pass  on it.