I Forge Iron

Convert small fly press to motorized or foot operation?

tylerdewitt

I have an Indian made number 4 manual c-frame fly press, with a flywheel(not ball weights).  It would be really handy if I could have 2 hands free to hold the workpiece and top tooling.

Treadle/power hammer/hydraulic press are better suited for this, yes.  But I was curious if anyone has ever converted their small manul fly press to a motorized friction press, or devised a way to manually operate it with their foot.

On 5/11/2016 at 5:03 PM, tylerdewitt said:

I have an Indian made number 4 manual c-frame fly press, with a flywheel(not ball weights).  It would be really handy if I could have 2 hands free to hold the workpiece and top tooling.

Treadle/power hammer/hydraulic press are better suited for this, yes.  But I was curious if anyone has ever converted their small manul fly press to a motorized friction press, or devised a way to manually operate it with their foot.

Since it has a flywheel it could be driven like a motorised flypress...an elegantly simple bit engineering but why?

Last time I checked you could buy a 20 ton for as little as $900, I couldn't buy the parts and stock for such a conversion for that nevermind the time.

If you *must* convert it suggest you copy a motorised flypress. 

Home built modifications to power equipment not originally powered often contravenes my safety goals.  I turn 60 this year and still find counting in decimal easier than octal!

A friend's solution to this issue was to have his son provide the oomph. Though he did later buy a large old powered flypress that was designed for it from the git go.

well as far as my experience and knowledge goes these are not the type of presses which goes mechanized by power.

between you have shot for applying working principle of forging screw presses but i dont think that will go work on such small level effectively.

still the flywheel which you are using is creating the inertia for your working i will definitely never suggest someone to do this,

1. too much hectic

2. you will need geared motor (costly stuff and finding one in junk yard is next to impossible)

3. you will need custom built bevel gear (another costly stuff)

4. there are maybe chances of loosing power rating

so all and all i would never try to modify instead try another hydraulic press

hope this will help you

The powered screw presses I have used had a simple friction drive against the flywheel---it was a true "wheel".  Much like a tire hammer is powered, except that it had been engineered so when you let off on the lever the friction disk on the other side engaged to power it back up.  No bevel gear.  It used a handle to run it just another way to make sure at least one of your hands was not in the squish zone.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/18/2016 at 10:14 AM, Aditya B said:

well as far as my experience and knowledge goes these are not the type of presses which goes mechanized by power.

between you have shot for applying working principle of forging screw presses but i dont think that will go work on such small level effectively.

still the flywheel which you are using is creating the inertia for your working i will definitely never suggest someone to do this,

1. too much hectic

2. you will need geared motor (costly stuff and finding one in junk yard is next to impossible)

3. you will need custom built bevel gear (another costly stuff)

4. there are maybe chances of loosing power rating

so all and all i would never try to modify instead try another hydraulic press

hope this will help you

Suggest you take a look at motorized flypresses.