I Forge Iron

copper

I'm getting ready to apply my handle scales on a black bush craft style knife I made out of a old file. my question is that I think it would look good with copper liners and pins. I have never done copper pins but have worked bronze and brass. copper is a lot softer and I would like to avoid any issues. any tips would be appreciated.

DSCN6837.JPG

Welcome aboard Wonkydog glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many folk live within visiting distance.

I''m not a bladsemith guy but seeing as you didn't grind the teeth off the tang epoxy is going to secure the handle without pins. That makes the pins decorative so their strength is not an issue other than maybe alignment when you clamp it together.

Copper is very malleable so there should be no issues peining the pins any way you like.

Frosty The Lucky.

I am not a knife maker either, but on first principles....my tip would be to remove all the teeth; along the blade at least, especially if your bush craft involves any chopping or shock work with the knife, tapping the back using it like a froe, or levering or twisting with it for splitting...

If you think in terms of a chocolate bar with pre-formed squares to break off...every tooth groove across your blade is a potential cracking point...

Do a toughness test by supporting another file on two points, and tapping it in between with a hammer...you will not have to hit that hard.

Alan

Alan I agree and I usually take files to the grinder and smooth them out. but this one was ordered with the teeth left in. to try to keep it from breaking I annealed twice before HT. The HT method I used was Godard's goop quench and clay for a differential HT. tempered to light straw 425 3cycles. tested the point by dropping in to concrete (always scares me), then batoned kineding. final test batoned a 2x4. had no bending, warping, chiping, and remained hair poping sharp. I am amazed at how well it held up. I might make a few more and test to destruction.

45 minutes ago, wonkydog said:

absoluty we had a lengthy conversation about all the things that could go wrong, and a few beers later the phase that get me into trouble " So I bet you can't do it".

And who are we to gainsay his aesthetic dreams!

I trust he paid for the beer!

I had a merchant banker / venture capitalist client who delighted to tell the tale about the time that he gave me a tumbler (the size of a bucket) full of the finest Single Malt Whisky before negotiating the price down on the entrance gates design I was presenting...luckily I held on to common sense long enough to suggest simplifications in construction which just about matched the new price; but happily improved the gates immensely...we were both winners in the end!

Alan

• 1 month later...

I refuse to condone the practice on intentionally dropping a piece of hardened steel on concrete.  How can you control where is the broken piece going to fly into when it breaks?m meaning who legs catches it ? there are safer methods to test blades.

Having said that I like to look of the dark with the copper liner as a highlight.  You may want to wish to carry that though into the sheath also,  a few copper rivets against the dark leather to tie them together?  Copper threads in with the regular leather stitching is an idea, it will age and patina equally with the knife.