I Forge Iron

How's this for a vise?

John in Oly, WA

I inherited my Grampa's vise. Don't know anything about it, but one thing just puzzles me. If you look at the one picture, it shows the back jaw that looks removable, except for the fact that it has grooves, rabbets, channels running longitudinally, but also across the back has another channel running cross-wise. How the heck did they get that piece in there? Does anyone know anything about this type of vise? Thanks

Vise5.jpg

Vise4.jpg

Vise3.jpg

Vise1.jpg

Vise2.jpg

Greetings John, 

If you pull the pin ( sometimes they are rusted in and jamed but will come out) the rear jaw will pivot for odd shaped clamping ... Very handy at times .. Well worth spending some time restoring.. 

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Very cool vise. Pattern Maker vices have movable jaws like that to allow clamping of tapers and shapes. Might have something to do with the original intent. Can't beat some of those old tools.....they don't make 'em like that anymore.

If you own a go kart, you'll be a go kart mechanic in no time.:D

Littleblacksmith

• 10 months later...

I finally got a stand built for this vise and got it up off the floor. It's hard to use a vise that's on the floor, and hard to use a vise that isn't anchored down somehow.

Now I just have to figure out what to do about the 1/2" base plate I warped welding the post and gussets on to it. Doh!

IMG_2888.JPG