I Forge Iron

Anvil ID help

A friend dropped this off the other night and im trying to figure out what I have. I have not been able to weigh it but I don't doubt the 50 kilos on the side. The Hardy hole is 1 1/2 and it does not appear to have been used much.

Any ideas on he manufacture?

IMG_20160403_222030.jpg

IMG_20160403_222005.jpg

IMG_20160403_221949.jpg

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. Looks like a cast iron ASO (Anvil Shape Object) Take a ball pein hammer and give it a medium rap with the ball and see what happens to the anvil's face. Hold the hammer loosely so it can bounce. I'll bet it'll dent the anvil with little rebound and a dull thunk for sound. I could be wrong but don't think so. It's obviously cast and probably cast iron rather than steel.

Don't feel badly it's free and if nothing else the hardy hole can be well used.

Frosty The Lucky.

I just let the hammer drop one it so my neighbor's don't kill me. It bounced about half the drop no thud but not a ring either, I guess more like a short duration ding.

When I get home I'll nail it and see what happens. 

16 minutes ago, twckxbzd said:

I just let the hammer drop one it so my neighbor's don't kill me. It bounced about half the drop no thud but not a ring either, I guess more like a short duration ding.

When I get home I'll nail it and see what happens. 

Rebound is a proportional function; that is, 50% rebound is 50% rebound, whether the force moving the hammer is your hand or gravity. "Nailing it" may give a more vigorous rebound, but only because you're putting more energy into the blow in the first place.

I agree with Frosty: it's worth every penny you paid for it.

Great gluing weight!  And having an extra hardy hole  in a shop is handy.  Note that this type of cast iron anvil is being made all over the world by thousands of small foundries many of which  consider "intellectual property", like ownership of designs, to be a fantasy.

Are you willing to spend several times as much to make that one work than buying one that's a good one to start with?

Central Ohio is the happy hunting grounds for blacksmithing equipment and you should be able to find a good anvil with few problems---when I moved out of Columbus I knew about one in a backyard in German Village and one in a Sub Basement of the Hospital over at OSU and had averaged a great name brand anvil for under US$1 a pound for a dozen years---it's where I proved in the TPAAAT !

And then their is always Quad-State....

It is usable as is, just not for heavy hammering. The hardy hole can be utilized, and a hardened saddle can be put over the face. 110# is a good base to start with. I would look at using that one to mount tooling to, or non metal applications like leatherwork.

so far everything i have been able to find is really expensive or really expensive and mostly destroyed. i should be saving the pics.
"its got one chip" that is 1 in wide and is the entire length of the face.
"used" 3/4 of the face is gone

i have been asking around but that has only turned up family heirlooms that cant be sold.
with the occasionally bored bragger that has a bunch but none of 

i am probably just gonna head to the scrapyard tomorrow and see if i can find something to pretend is an anvil till i can find something.