I Forge Iron

Buying a used Anvil

Hi, gstpeter; welcome to IFI! If you put your location in your profile info, (A) we'll be able to answer your question better for what might work well in your area and (B) there might be members near you who could offer some help.

As for your question, there are a large number of threads in the Forum that address this precise question. I would suggest that you go back and read over those. If you have more specific questions afterwards, feel free to ask them. You will find out very quickly that the curmudgeons here really, really, REALLY appreciate it if you do your research before asking the same question that's been asked dozens of times already.

With that said, remember that an anvil is just something that you put the metal on before you hit it. People do all sorts of interesting and creative things with sections of railroad track, truck axle, blocks of scrap steel, and so on, and you do NOT need a classic London-pattern anvil to get started.

6 minutes ago, JHCC said:

REALLY appreciate it if you do your research before asking the same question that's been asked dozens of times already.

about a dozen times a Week. 

Look at the Anvil forum, get a comfortable chair, a cup of coffee and most likely a sandwich and read.  Education takes time and usually $$ but the education here is FREE.  Enjoy.  As pointed out by  others put your location in as there are people on here willing to help from everywhere in the World. 

Well thanks for the warm welcome. ...  I did read a bunch of post but couldn't really find the answer I was looking for, maybe because of the massive volume of posts, but what I'm looking for is, if I buy a used anvil what do I watch out for.  I see posts talking about the "ring" of an anvil and "rebound" ect. but for someone who has never owned such equipment these terms are hollow and meaningless.  I'm in New Hampshire, but not looking to get sold something in this forum, just advice from people who have done this for years. Thanks again.  Glenn

Look for an anvil that is complete:  No broken off parts.  Complete faceplate.  Not too pitted or torch gouged.  See if it has a name on it, then google the name.  Decide on the weight you want.  Does it fit?  Most smith use anvils in the 80 to 200 lb range, but bigger is good too.  Can you afford it?  Can you move it?   Tap the face with a hammer.  Does it bounce off?  It should rebound almost to the height you started from.  Ask around your community:  does anyone know of an anvil for sale/trade?  

You should have no trouble finding an anvil in New Hampshire/ New England area.