I Forge Iron

Source for boxwood?

rfdecarter

I have never seen a knife with a boxwood handle that I know of. Box Elder is really popular. I think I remember that the Boy scouts used to do a boxwood model car event each year. You may try and contact them and see if you can find a source. All most every knife supply place has box elder. Good luck

Box wood works very much like Al, not like box elder at all! I bought my supply from a place that specialized in making blanks for folks turning pens; they had some that had not been cut down. It was in northern Ohio, USA.

I was replicating knife #309 in "Knives and Scabbards, Museum of London", a late 12th century folding knife. As the original had a boxwood handle, mine had to as well. Worked all by hand tools, ugh...

Thansk for all of the replies.

Was looking for boxwood to handle some replicas I'm in the process of making. Given the difficulty in acquiring the size I need (and the expense) I'll just use a more easily obtainable wood. Existing examples and those found in digs have often been rehandled with woods from this continent.

I can't remember where I got mine. I still have one chunk that is 2'X4"X2". We have carved up most of what I had. Grand pups like to carve in BOXWOOD. Never tried any for a handle. Might work, it would be about like the old Poplar wood that was used in wagonseats, and sideboards for the turn of the century freight, and field wagons. Super clear grained.

chuck