I Forge Iron

Kalamazoo Belt Grinder?

TToch

I'm looking for a decent belt grinder, but I'm on a $350 budget (leaving me with little to choose from). I was searching around on the Internet and I came across these Kalamazoo grinders; does anybody own/use one of these? They're kind of obscure, I haven't seen a lot of people review them or mention them in the forums. I was curious to see if they are of decent quality or if they should be avoided. Thanks

Kalamazoo used to be a top name in industrial tools and grinders.  I'm not sure where they stand now that they import some low end stuff under their branding. The older stuff is still considered top notch. 

Looks to me like the lower end units are a little low in HP--guessing you are speaking of a 1 x 42 which seems to be the one available in your price range.  It might get you by but you'll likely be wishing for more in short order.  Because you can get 5 times the belt grinder for about twice the money, you might think twice about whether it's worth waiting for a better budget or not.  The little ones will get stuff done but is it throwing money away if you will be itching for better in a year?

And yes, some people are perfectly satisfied with their variation of the small unit.  I have and use one in a different brand..it got me started and does the job (barely) but I wish I had waited for a better budget rather than jumping the gun to get what I could afford at the time.

Hard call to make and it's easy for me to spend *your* money.  All I'm really saying is it might be worth thinking about the longer term.

I bought a Kalamazoo 2x48 a year ago from Jantz and I love it. You can get the 2x48 without a motor for less than 300.00

I put a 2hp 1725rpm motor on it and have been running Norton Blaze belts. I'm thrilled for the money I spent. I narrowed my choices down to the Kalamazoo or the Grizzly. The Grizzly is China made and the Kalamazoo is US made. For the same money I went with US and I've been very happy with it. I don't know there whole product line and they may be making some stuff offshore but my 2x48 was made in Michigan. Yoe will have to hit a scrap yard to look for a motor with a v belt pully but if you burn up a motor you can drop another one in. I think I paid 20.00 for my 2 HP at a flea market. If your planning on making deep plunge cuts you will have to make a new platten. The factory platten wasn't designed with knife makers in mind but the machine is solid and tracks great.

1 hour ago, TwistedCustoms said:

I bought a Kalamazoo 2x48 a year ago from Jantz and I love it. You can get the 2x48 without a motor for less than 300.00

I put a 2hp 1725rpm motor on it and have been running Norton Blaze belts. I'm thrilled for the money I spent. I narrowed my choices down to the Kalamazoo or the Grizzly. The Grizzly is China made and the Kalamazoo is US made. For the same money I went with US and I've been very happy with it. I don't know there whole product line and they may be making some stuff offshore but my 2x48 was made in Michigan. Yoe will have to hit a scrap yard to look for a motor with a v belt pully but if you burn up a motor you can drop another one in. I think I paid 20.00 for my 2 HP at a flea market. If your planning on making deep plunge cuts you will have to make a new platten. The factory platten wasn't designed with knife makers in mind but the machine is solid and tracks great.

Sounds pretty nice! Sadly I'm working with files and a harbor freight 4x36 belt grinder, not exactly the best tools to make knives with. Pretty much any belt grinder would work better than what I have now. Did you order yours offline?

thanks for this thread!

i had been collecting materials to build the 'ray clontz grinder' shown at anvilfire but now i think i would be better off just getting the kalamazoo belt driven version without motor for $279. i prefer the belt drive idea anyway so i can put motor where i want it like underneath in a cabinet like i did with my bandsaw.

I have the 1 x 42" it works good for sharping tools removing birs and sanding wood. It don't hog off large amounts of metal fast. Not sure that's what it was design for. I pick up 3 of them at a auction for $35.00 each gave 2 away to some friends. They have been happy with there's.

image.jpg

I just snapped a pic as I was leaving the shop. This is the 2x48. When I bought it it I didn't own a welder but I have since acquired a Lincoln Weld-Pac. I will soon be building a four leg platform for the grinder out of 2" angle-iron. I'll mount the motor underneath. I have friends who own Burr-King shop grinders and I can't stress enough, this little machine is not in the same category as a  $3500.00-$5000.00  grinder. It is however a workable option on $350.00 budget.

IMG_20160325_182641.jpg

I really appreciate all the replies. I think this will probably be my next purchase, since it seems like the best choice for my budget. I'm just eager to upgrade since it takes forever to produce anything with my current set up. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On March 25, 2016 at 7:36 PM, TwistedCustoms said:

I just snapped a pic as I was leaving the shop. This is the 2x48. When I bought it it I didn't own a welder but I have since acquired a Lincoln Weld-Pac. I will soon be building a four leg platform for the grinder out of 2" angle-iron. I'll mount the motor underneath. I have friends who own Burr-King shop grinders and I can't stress enough, this little machine is not in the same category as a  $3500.00-$5000.00  grinder. It is however a workable option on $350.00 budget.

IMG_20160325_182641.jpg

I have the exact same grinder, only I modified it for my own uses. Put a decent motor on it and it'll remove material quite well for its size. I've had this for over 12 years and it's been about trouble free. I have maybe $400 in it total including the brand new motor I bought for it.

image.jpeg