I Forge Iron

building a gas forge and have a question

Iceman_713

so Im looking at building a gas forge and was looking for a housing, well as luck would have it I have recently replaced My mailbox and I am wondering, is it possible with the right insulation(either kaolwool or refractory cement) to use the mailbox as the forge body? has anyone attempted it before? I see the paint can and soup can forges so to me it seems that it is feasible ...any information is appreciated.

Sure it'll work provided it isn't an aluminum mailbox. It'll probably be galvanized needing a soak in vinegar to remove the galvanizing (zinc plating).

There are other alternatives though so don't get yourself stuck on the one thing. I haven't made a pipe or vault forge in a long time but I just went a different direction. Oh, a mail box shape is a "vault" as taken from architectural terminology, from the Roman.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well, Frosty said "as long as it isn't aluminum".  I guess he forgot plastic.  Maybe they don't have them up yonder.

The mail box is a good shape, however is thin if you are going to have to weld in a burner tube, etc.  Check out the attachments on the Forge Supplies page at www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmth.com for how I like to build a gas forge.

Let me know if I can help you.

waynecoe@highland.net.

Use steel or stainless steel pop rivets to attach a spread foot for the mounts. It won't take a lot the burner shouldn't be heavy nor get bumped much. A short length of small angle iron pop riveted to forge shell works a treat.

Frosty The Lucky.