I Forge Iron

Turkington Treadle Hammer

Hey all, 

I thought I would post up some pictures of the treadle Hammer I am using down at Bent River forge.

It is made from a Mobile home axle if you look close at the bottom there is a lever that you can flip once that is flipped you can swing the hammer out of the way if this was your only Anvil or your in a small shop.  The hammer head is about 15lbs.

It's not for sale I am posting up here for the group to have a look at for their own design considerations.

IMG_0624.JPG

IMG_0626.JPG

IMG_0627.JPG

IMG_0628.JPG

IMG_0629.JPG

I like kicker springs, it lets you use lighter main springs so you get more power for less work and the kicker spring gets the ram moving back up faster. Can it be swung out of the way for hand work? Being able to swing a treadle hammer in and out of the work zone would be sweet.

Frosty The Lucky.

The lever hasn't been moved in years so its pretty froze up at this time. Other wise I would have taken a pic with it moved.
 I if i were to rebuild it the foot would be a tid bit longer.... my face while holding the work and stepping on the leg lever is scary close to the swinging hammer

5 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Yup that 3rd spring really impressed me too once I figured out how it would work.  

Yeah, whoever thought of the kicker spring sure was thinking. Bruce Freeman incorporated a version in his Grasshopper treadle hammer though not as elegantly simple as this one. He had his ram and counter springs so balanced it would hold in any position in the stroke,  the kicker was the only thing that made it raise all the way to the stop.

His design got me to thinking about mounting the springs in back and using cable but routing it through an eccentric pully like a compound bow (sort of) so the return springs were at their weakest at the  top and max return at the anvil. No idea if it was workable or practical and never got to experimenting with it.

Frosty The Lucky.

2 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Now I'm thinking of how I could put an adjustment on the kicker spring set up so you could "dial it in" for your personal preference...

Oh yeah, they make turnbuckles for that.

But you want a kicker spring to NOT be in the return or support group, it should only come into play just before impact and start the ram back up, not carry or return it.

Frosty The Lucky.

Peter: You need to come down to my shop-just a few miles away in Deadwood Or.. John is old friend of mine-tell him Hi..  One thing you need to realize about his pedal hammers is that he makes them in an afternoon out of whatever junk he has around! No two are alike. Amazingly resourceful man and a great blacksmith.  Give me a call- 541 964 3224. Eric Sprado

• 3 weeks later...

Peter,

Thanks for the post.  Been thinking about making one of these and the kicker spring idea makes a lot of sense.  Now to find some springs and......

Many thanks

Thomas, did you notice there are 2 chain links on the are where the kicker spring connects?  you could put several on the arm to engage the kicker at different heights for your dies. not as fine an adjustment as a turnbuckle but changing would be faster.