I Forge Iron

moisture

I'm less than a month in my new space and already tools that I've had for 30 years are starting to develop a layer of rust.  I'm right at the base of some hills and water my shop is on the flat spot where the water collects and not more than 30 feet from a year round creek.    Last week I opened the door to see the dies on my new power hammer looking like they'd been hit with a spray nozzle, just from condensation.

Others must live in similar climates so what do you do?  I thought of getting a dehumidifier and running it constantly.  I could install heat and keep it warm enough to avoid some of the condensation.  Right now the space is slab with no insulation and no sheetrock on the inside.

Ideas?

• 3 weeks later...

Keep some heat in the building, just enough to avoid condensation. Keep the air moving with a small fan. The idea is to keep the moisture from condensing on the metal.

WD40 to bring the moisture to the surface, and oil (such as 3 in 1, or ATF, etc) on everything. If you can paint everything that you can paint for longer protection.

There are still times here when the entire shop rains on the inside as the weather hits that perfect combination.