I Forge Iron

Peter wright anvil

Do the ball bearing test to make sure it hasn't been through a shop fire.  If it passes, it's a reasonable price/condition for your area.  Note not knowing how YOU plan to use it WE can only guess---it's way too small for you to be forging anchors on it with 12# sledges for instance.

Mike every once and a while I look on ebay at anvils. Seeing what they are asking for anvils today, I would buy it, as long as it has good rebound. I recently bought a 93# Hay-Budden for  $350, which was the top of my budget.  I am also just starting out,from reading this forum for the few months since I joined, it seems that everyone wants a 150# anvil for shop work. I am happy with my choice. I don't think that I need a bigger one to start out as I have no intentions of trying to make railings or other large pieces. As soon as I get the discs in my neck fixed I will start out with bottle openers, RR spike knives, and other small pieces. If I get proficient enough, and have enough time left I will look for a bigger one.

150 pounds used to be  considered the "standard" for a working blacksmith shop here in the USA.  As we are mostly hobbyists that should not apply---depending on what you want to do.

I cheerfully admit to loving to work on a huge anvil; but I also have to admit that my 93# A&H has many more hours on it than my 515# Fisher.  Right now my 515# fisher is at my home shop 3 hours away while I have a 112# PW about 10' from where I am sitting