I Forge Iron

Fairly successful billet

Momatt

Hi guys, i gave been absent for a while first knife in maybe a year.  Today I took a one inch wide bandsaw blade from a woodmizer sawmill and quenched a test piece.  I put it in hot vinegar and it turned black.  Since I knew the saw was not high nickel since it etched black  i layered it in with 0.065 15n20 from New Jersey steel baron.  My billet was about 4 inches by 1 one by 1.  I wrapped a wire around the middle and forge welded the end up good so I could take the wire off.  I welded it all up seemed to stick good.  I drew it out and folded it once, so it's probably 30 layer or so.  My forearm was swelled up and I figured that was enough.  The billet was just right size for one knife and manageable for hand forging.  I think it will make a nice hunting knife.  After a few minutes in hot vinegar, one side has parallel lines the other has circles which was unexpected.

image.jpg

image.jpg

that's a really nice/interesting pattern. I like it!

Littleblacksmith

Hi theo, I like copper so I will forge out a copper guard for sure, I like to hot fit guards as I find the filing tedious.  Probably some burled wood.  I have a nice shed antler, maybe incorporate some leather washers.  

thanks for the comments and the explanation on the different pattern.  That makes a lot of sense as I was whaling on that to draw it out.  I was using the outside edge of the anvil to draw it out, but I bet when I hammer out out all the fuller marks it did that.