I Forge Iron

some pics of repiared forge and shop

If you have any suggestions for improvement let me know thanks.

if that hole, or some other hole in the floor is handy, cast a big chunk of cement or drop a good sized solid rock in it (with a flat face up) ideally topped with a steel plate, a "floor" anvil, where you brace the end of a longer piece of stock to do upsetting, ideally you mount a leg vise over it

or

a leg vise with a good thick base, but again the objective is to transfer force to a large mass that has no give, this principle scales up to power hammers having isolated foundations of their own

not so much a suggestion as something to keep in mind depending on what direction your work takes you ;)

thanks jayco, I am going to make some more additons to the opposite side I work on to get some more room. Someone suggested hang on shelves, but my forge is cracked in several places and I think that would add too much stress. I am thinking I will support it with the sheet metal side panels.

thanks ice, i get the idea. At this point I have no idea where all this will lead me. But that is how I do everything! thanks for the replies. kevin

I have a slightly bad back.....so I prefer the gravel type floor. Stand ing on concrete makes my back ache after an hour or so.

One of the most important tools I keep in my shop is a magnet with a string attached: which I keep hanging near the forge.