I Forge Iron

Falcon Hood

I have been wanting to make a falcon hood out of steel for awhile now. I worked on it a little yesterday and a little more today. The following is how I did it. The sheet metal is salvaged from a 1940's era sheet metal kitchen cabinet. The metal is very thin and I had a heck of a time welding it without burning the thing up, Oxy/Acetylene was the best method for me.

100_1832.JPG

100_1835.JPG

100_1839.JPG

100_1841.JPG

100_1843.JPG

100_1871.JPG

100_1872.JPG

Thomas, I will give that a try on similar sheet metal scrapes. I hope you have solved my concern.

Das, "going to make the rest of the falcon?" I don't know, I have given doing so some passing thought. I am going to finish the hood and see where it takes me. I will post on this thread.

I like the progress. One possibility when dealing with a situation like that when you have access is to drill the hole in the hood then plug weld the piece on concentrating the welding to the center of the thicker piece then moving out. A lot of times I do a little start stop on the mig to control heat a bit. But honestly I've used bolting methods where I can and where is needed. Nice use of the butter knife handle. 

Excited to see the final piece. 

Yes, those shops are great for cutlery supplies. You can buy bundles of knives, spoons etc for a couple of dollars. Here we call them 'op shops'.

Looks cold where you are, mate. If that's snow outside your window.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow Coldironkilz it's looking really cool. I'll be honest up till this point I hadn't really even looked up a falcon hood because I had a little image somewhere in the back of my mind of one.  Awesome job. On looking I noticed falcon beaks are a lil more curved at the end. I'm just saying, not nitpicking I think it's great and you should also make the whole bird. :D

Daswulf, I am really glad you picked up on my error, in fact the bill looks more like the bill of a raven than a hawk. I am going to try a repair so to speak rather that a complete rebuild of the bill. The bill is not yet permanently installed (simply wedged into place) and the cere (a waxy, fleshy covering at the base of the upper beak in some birds) not yet applied.