I Forge Iron

Belt grinder from a belt sander

Before I waste any time and other valuable resources I want to ask if anyone's seen it done before. I have a craftsman belt sander that has a 1 hp motor that works great and everything about it is good except there is one bearing goin out so it won't run right. Hopefully that actually makes sense to someone other than myself. Since I have another belt sander just like it I thought about rebuilding the one into a belt grinder and that requires either makin or buyin a new bearing. I don't know much about bearing an therefore would probably buy the wrong one but of course not knowing much I probably couldn't build one very well either.

If anyone needs pictures or more information regarding what I have or what I'm plannin please tell me and I'll show you what I've got.

If it is a Craftsman just take it back to sears and they should give you a new one.  my dad took a 25 year old drill in to get a new chuck for it and they just tossed it in the trash and gave him a new one in a case with everything. If they don't replace it they can have the parts dept. give you the bearing number

2 hours ago, GoodOlEagle said:

If it is a Craftsman just take it back to sears and they should give you a new one.  my dad took a 25 year old drill in to get a new chuck for it and they just tossed it in the trash and gave him a new one in a case with everything. If they don't replace it they can have the parts dept. give you the bearing number

I didn't even think about that, don't know if they will still just replace power equiptment like there handtools but they are good about getting parts unless the maschine is real old .

Back in ancient history I worked for a Sears repair center. Every Sears store had a sign over the entrance that said " your satisfaction guaranteed or your money back" . I'll bet that if they still carry that sander they will exchange it for a new one. I've seen people buy a new lawn mower in the spring and return it in the fall, and get their money back. It takes all kinds I guess.

It is a handheld craftsman. I didn't know they repaired/replaced power tools but now I'll have to look and see if they still make them. I wasn't really thinking about replacing it since I have a duplicate, that why I just thought I'd try to build a grinder out of it. If they replace it then I'll keep it for wood and probably tear into the other one I have fo my grinder build lol.