I Forge Iron

Makin Anvil

I found this stuff at a scrap yard both are fairly heavy. I thought the long peice was a rail road track till I got it home and looked at it better.  Any ideas on using these?  Only out liKe 6 bucks so if not going to look again.    I'm in northern va area if anyone has something better in the area. 

Link to metal http://imgur.com/gallery/8vB8Y

Hard to judge dimensions by the pics,but looks like the "C" channel could be part of a base/stand.Again it's hard to judge the size of the rail but it could serve as an anvil possibly.Another thought is if 6 bucks got you this i would go back and spend another 10-20 on stuff the same "size" or larger and you could be doing pretty good.

And i think this is the first time i have ever beaten Frosty to this so here goes,if you put your general location on your profile you may meet a member nearby to help you along the way.:ph34r:

That's what I was thinking.  The rail isn't very stable on either side but probally can get welded.   Going to check around some more.  See what I can find. 

I am  willing to put some money into an anvil but 400 plus is a bit much to pay for something Im just starting to get started in.

I actually have a bunch of iron ingots in my yard.   From I believe a forge associated with George Washington..   I am happy with a chunk of metal that i can mount to a log or something.  Kind of would like it actually im an anthropology dork so real old school is cool with me. Is the channel strong enough to use if welded it to the beam and dropped beam into the ground?     Actually found some old railroad spikes in an area that use to have track but doesn't now.   Was hopeing to find track as that seems an ok route to go.    Evuntally  would love to try make a knife but thats aways away.    Tried to do the in boy scouts 15 years ago ended up with a butter knife KSO.     

Also thanks !

My first anvil was a 25lb block of mild steel and trust me that's plenty to learn the basics,read around on the site there is plenty of info on starter anvil/homemade anvils,what you want is depth of rebound(as much steel under your hammer as possible) a 3 inch piece of round steel vertically mounted is better than 12x12x1 mounted horizontal.

I wouldn't mess with any ingots associated with George Washington...

On 2/11/2016 at 9:58 PM, odblacksmith said:

My first anvil was a 25lb block of mild steel and trust me that's plenty to learn the basics,read around on the site there is plenty of info on starter anvil/homemade anvils,what you want is depth of rebound(as much steel under your hammer as possible) a 3 inch piece of round steel vertically mounted is better than 12x12x1 mounted horizontal.

I wouldn't mess with any ingots associated with George Washington...

I was going to post but I think you answered my real question for me. I was going to pick up a piece of rail to start blacksmithing with, but from the sounds of things a piece of round bar vertically is better to start with. I agree, I was hearing that I needed to get the rail on its end to use it more effectively for more mass below it and it makes total sense, but maybe I should hold off on the rail and nab a piece of 3 inch round bar. Could you suggest any kind of steel specifically? Also do I need to harden it I assume?

5 hours ago, Daghrim said:

I was going to post but I think you answered my real question for me. I was going to pick up a piece of rail to start blacksmithing with, but from the sounds of things a piece of round bar vertically is better to start with. I agree, I was hearing that I needed to get the rail on its end to use it more effectively for more mass below it and it makes total sense, but maybe I should hold off on the rail and nab a piece of 3 inch round bar. Could you suggest any kind of steel specifically? Also do I need to harden it I assume?

I would just recommend going to a scrap yard that sells to the public or to a machine shop and ask if they have anything they would be willing to sell.If you go to a scrap yard take a 1-2lb ball pein give the piece a tap if it has rebound(even if it dents slightly) there is your new starter anvil.If you go to a machine/fab shop a worker or owner will be more likely to know the type of steel,i would try for 4140 or something that is tough but unhardened,another good suggestion is as Charles said 2'' solid can be found lots of places because nearly everyone has known someone with a truck...once you start looking you will realize whats available to you.Best of luck

1 hour ago, odblacksmith said:

I would just recommend going to a scrap yard that sells to the public or to a machine shop and ask if they have anything they would be willing to sell.If you go to a scrap yard take a 1-2lb ball pein give the piece a tap if it has rebound(even if it dents slightly) there is your new starter anvil.If you go to a machine/fab shop a worker or owner will be more likely to know the type of steel,i would try for 4140 or something that is tough but unhardened,another good suggestion is as Charles said 2'' solid can be found lots of places because nearly everyone has known someone with a truck...once you start looking you will realize whats available to you.Best of luck

Thanks a bunch, gonna keep my a lookout at this point now. I was considering buying a section of rail, but if I need to stand it upright(which makes sense), I might as well see about finding something more solid and with more surface area to work with. 

All depends on if you can weld or know someone who welds,do NOT discount what Charles has shown in what can be done with a piece of rail you can have an anvil/fuller/horn/hot-cut all from one piece of rail on end if its done correctly.all i was trying to say was a piece of solid round/square probably has the best surface for "beating on things" until you learn the basics.

It doesn't have to be high carbon steel, it's a good thing but isn't a must. So long as you're hitting HOT steel on it the shaft isn't going to get dinged. Now when you miss a blow it's a different story but what the hey, those dings will hammer out.

Frosty The Lucky.