I Forge Iron

Blower vibration

AEtheron

I recently purchased an antique Thompson forged co blower. It's about 100 years old and I restored it. After using it for about an hour it has started randomly vibrating and when this happens there is a huge amount of resistance' I have to stop cranking and start again. Any ideas what is causing this and what I can do to fix it?

That sounds quite similar to a blower I got for Christmas.  In the end I took it all apart, cleaned it up, polished the shafts on the buffer, put a thin layer of grease on all the shafts and put it back together.  After I did that the vibration, noise, and extra resistance went away.  I put the appropriate amount of oil in the case after that and haven't had any more issues with it, but I've only used it for a few hours.  My impression was that one or more of the holes for the shafts were worn a bit to allow a small amount of movement.  That coupled with a dry shaft essentially allowed for a chatter effect of sorts.  Without hearing your blower I can't tell for sure if it's exactly the same thing as mine, nor am I 100% sure that my diagnosis is correct.  All I can tell you is what I did and that my problem went away as a result.

this may sound a tad daft but..........

Does this type of blower work cranked ether way, or do you have to turn it in a specific direction? If it works either way, you could try turning it the other way to what you have been doing and see if it still binds up, worth a punt, easier than dismantling it!

On mine the oulet is perpendicular to the axle so it makes no difference which way you spin it however it runs better one way and I think that has to do with wear on the gears. Taking it apart now that I have done it a few times is easy, it's only six screws\bolts and four gears. I took it apart yesterday afternoon but apparently my reply didn't post (spotty internet in the middle of nowhere) there was some play in the bushings so I greases them all and my tests so far have run smooth, however I did not do an extensive test, that will likely be Saturday.

Then either something is running out of alignment due to play re Thomas' reply, or it is binding up likely due to heat expansion of the bearing surfaces. Not being able to inspect it makes an evaluation impossible, unless you find exactly what the problem is I have only two suggestions.......use a different lubricant (thicker/thinner as needed) or .......... give it a shorter work cycle!

Since it has brass bushings I'd guess that the wear on the bushings and the shaft are sufficient to cause the them to develop a harmonic chatter.    I had a similar problem in a blower.  I bought a piece of oilite bronze and had a friend turn it down on a lathe id/od to fit.  I was able to get away with not repairing the shaft.

For what it's worth it might be worth balancing the fan, I got hold of an old forge with a hand crank blower that doesn't even have bushings, it sounded like a hand cracked air raid siren because of the badly out of balance fan "chattering" like crazy.

After balancing it is relatively quiet & good to use even though there is no difference in wear.  I just made sure the removed fan when balanced on a couple of flats edges didn't have a heavy spot that settled at the bottom each time.