I Forge Iron

rate your hand benders

I've been looking around the web at the large variety of hand benders (hossfeld, di-acro, harbor freight ...). I would like to know what you smiths think of the various benders and what you have in your shops. Do you use these types of benders? Pros and cons of different models. Do you use yours for hot or cold work? Basically tell whatcha got, likes & dislikes, and what would be on your wish list if you would even want one.

I use a home built Hossfeld and use it a lot. Have used it for about 16 yrs and have built quite a few tools for it. I made 2 signs out of 1/2"X4" flatbar bent on the flat. It was a bit of work, did a good job though. I have tools for making rings out of up to 3/4" round material hot rolled. I have another 1 I bought, not sure what it is called that I use for sharp bends and whatever else the Hossfeld doesn't do well. The Hossfeld is very versatile from my experience. I will get a picture and send it along.
Here are the signs I did with the hossfeld

4713.attach

4714.attach

4715.attach

all we have are fork hardies and a wide selection of forks, any one of which could be made inside of 5 minutes with one long bar two short ones and a welder .

Stuff is bent both hot and cold, handrails generally hot, scrolls often tweaked cold, if we are making alot of something will make a jig and bend it hot to it

no "machine" to speak of

a "fork" is basically an F shaped bar
a fork hardie an upsidedown lowercase h

levers and pivot points

Really like those signs stretch. The hangers on the Salt Creek one are way cool.

I have a homemade hossfeld #1. Whoever made it did a fantastic job. They definitely had a #1 or #2 to make mine with. Cost me $15 and I make tooling for it as needed. Don't use it all that often, depending on whats going on in the shop, but I would never part with it.

I have a #2 Di-Acro. Couldn't get along without it. I have made hossfield knockoffs but nothing is better for me and my needs than a Di-Acro. Easy setup and parts go on and off fast. A #2 will bend up to 1/2" round cold. I also bend bigger stock hot.
Mark

Mtforge, does using the di-acro unit to bend hot metal cause it any problems? I see these benders use grease packed needle bearings. Is hot forging scale and other crud an issue with them?

No problems. It's a close fit and the scale doesn't cause problems. Not much more scale than when bending cold. The mass of the bender doesn't heat up when bending hot. However the center and stop pins do so I keep a pair of pliers close by. I also modified the tubing clamp arm to work with the roller and can get some very nice, even and fast bends. I pull it back to start the bend then push the clamp in to make a consistent bend part to part.

Mark