I Forge Iron

anvil help needed

Hello, been a lurker here for a while now & finally have some questions in need of answers. I've been working metal for close to 20 years now ( primarily as a welder ), so I'm not a complete idiot on the subject. But in regards to anvils, I might as well be a complete idiot. 

Up till this point my smithing has been small piddly stuff, now I want to get more serious about it. 

I have always gone the wood fired forge route & will continue to.  Since I have scads of wood. Free wood. So far I have used a section of I beam as an anvil. It is 1 1/2" thick, 12" wide, 18" tall, & 5 foot long. The problem is that it weighs close to half a ton. Once placed i can't move the dang thing without a engine lift. I don't want to cut it down because it's so good for sheet metal work as well. 

So I've been looking for a new anvil. All the local ones of craigslist are generally a ASO or well outside what I can spend right now. 

What I've settled on in my head as to what I want feature wise is this:

Double horn, Upsetting block, At least one hardy hole & punch hole, In the 125 to 150 pound range ( I do field work sometimes welding. I want a transportable anvil ). I've got 800 - 900 I can spend

The only one I've come across that meets that is from Perun. I can't find much about them. Outside of Europe anyways. Can anyone point me in a different direction,  or advise me on another company to look at?

Thank you. 

Since you don't list a location please budget US$6000 to $8000 for plane fare to go look at an anvil.  My local scrap yard sells steel to be a 20 US cents a pound and has a lot of large stuff  including a naval gun barrell; I think they said one piece of it is 40000 pounds.  Don't bother to put a hardy hole in a block of steel   Make an adjunct holder for hardies.

Are you indicative of the help nature of people here? I signed up for this sight seeking knowledge. If i don't ask the questions properly, I do apologize.  Perhaps you could inform me of the proper way to ask. 

Thank you

I would love to own a naval gun by the way. 

There are anvils in Australia, UK, Germany, and USA that I could refer you to, but depending on YOUR location, shipping may be an issue. Without a location, we are limited in the help we can provide.

You said NEW anvil, double horn. I located a new anvil cast entirely of H-13 tool steel, heat treated to Rockwell C 50 – 55, Weight: 110 pounds, for $845. Another new anvil was located at 325 pounds but at a higher price, of course. Again, shipping may be an issue.

Used anvils are another search, but I know where there are some of those also.

Please refine your question so we can provide a better answer.

What Thomas is saying is that it is hard to help when we have no idea what part of the country or world you live in. 

In Europe an anvil approximating your description would be easier to locate vs if you live on the Faulkland Islands.

Put your location in your profile and maybe someone who lives close by will be able to help!

Any anvil, import or domestic, sold by one of the major blacksmith and farrier supply houses will be adequate: they do not stay in business by selling junk to professionals. Steve Kayne of Blacksmith's Depot is now selling Perun anvils, and he has been a working blacksmith as long as this old goat has been alive. Kanca anvils look a little odd below the waist, but perform well where it matters.