I Forge Iron

New Anvil

Hi guys as I said in my first post I'm new at this haha I got this anvil from a guy here at home for a bottle of rum haha hows she look no idea of the make or yr its hard to make anything out since she looks old and also is there anything I should do to er before I start hammering on er

Thanks 

IMG_20160120_143843129.jpg

IMG_20160120_143836898.jpg

IMG_20160120_143729272.jpg

IMG_20160120_143723999.jpg

IMG_20160120_143719087.jpg

Looks like a Peter Wright,the markings are faint but you can dust it with flour to make the marks more read-able and someone more knowledgeable then I can probably give you an age estimate.Looks like its in great condition,and for a bottle o' rum you stole it!

Just noticed the welded on tabs for mounting it "shouldn't" effect it that much,but its generally a no-no to weld anything to an anvil,but looks like they have been there for years.

Thanks alot old blacksmith I really appreciate the info ya I've read a bunch on not messin with welding and things hope it don't make a big difference like you said im excited to get at er just the forge to build now hahaha  I rekon  it'll do me good 

Thanks a bunch

I agree I make out "Patent" in the side shot and that's a trademark part of Peter Wright ID stamping. I certainly can e wrong though.

The most dressing up I'd do to that old beauty is maybe wire brushing and oiling or waxing the sides bottom etc. Then take a hammer and hot steel to her face and she'll shine like the lady she is.

She shows some wear and tear but nothing to worry about and certainly nothing to "fix". The bolt ears welded to the feet are nothing. I'd leave them and use them or pretend they're not there unless they actually get in the way. then a cold chisel and hammer will take care of them.

Good score, heck excellent score.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty I really appreciate  the 2 bits I've seen your name on here alot during my research haha you seem to really know your stuff and I'm glad she's good to go I have been  doing a lot research  on forges  and while I was a friends house  tonight  I was given a gas forge  as he was a farrier yrs   back  I'm so excited to get er  fired up tommaro  and see wat  I can create haha  if you are interested  I can  post  a pic tommaro  i have bin incredibly  lucky getting started other  than the rum and the  courses  I've taken its bin a free startup!!

Thanks frosty  

Now someone GIVES you a gas forge?!  Holey mackerel buy a lottery ticket! :rolleyes:

By all means take pics, especially if it needs some tuning. Better yet, ask the fellow who used it how to work it. We still want to see pics, we LOVE pics.

I'm "almost" always happy to help. Even if I have to make stuff up.  :ph34r:

Frosty The Lucky.

Geez Frosty, you don't want him to use up all his good luck winning the lotto. He might have to BUY his tools after that.

Lovely anvil, ridiculously clean. If you lay it over and rub a little flour or something similar onto the sides it'll bring out a those faint markings a lot and make it much easier to read.