I Forge Iron

ABANA conference

This is one ABANA conference that I am going to miss.  2500 miles each way drive, or expensive plane ticket.  But the biggest reason is that I do not think Salt Lake City in the middle of July will be hospitable.  As I get older, I find hot(over 90 degree) weather too draining.  

So, I will wait to see where 2018 will be.

If you have never been to an ABANA conference, I recommend you go.  The demonstrators are usually tops, and they do try to make the conference as accommodating as can be expected. 

17 hours ago, njanvilman said:

But the biggest reason is that I do not think Salt Lake City in the middle of July will be hospitable.  As I get older, I find hot(over 90 degree) weather too draining.  

We had friends move to Utah about 70 miles from Salt Lake City and they tell us that the only time to visit is late Sept to Nov. 1st and Apr. to May.  In my mind it would be too hot to concentrate on what is going on.

2 hours ago, Gerald Boggs said:

I expect the two locations that will be under consideration is the Northeast/New England and the West Coast. 

I'll recommend New England/Northeast but again a long way to travel for many and limited flights to some of the areas.  Great for those of us "Perched" up here.

One of many reasons I don't live on the gulf coast, although starting next year will be there for 3-4 months in the winter.  I'll take my heat in my shop any time it's across the yard from A/C, refrig. endless cold water, going 2500+ miles to overheat doesn't make sense to me. 

Back to his original question other years opening ceremony was evening of first day listed for conference which is wensday I believe then demos Thursday Friday and part Saturday with evening meal and then the auction.  This time the website lists demonstrator and workshops which I understand to mean hands on workshops.   There probably is some night forging.  Again this is my opinion only and may not resemble what will happen either way I plan to be there from Minnesota. 

On 1/12/2016 at 6:31 PM, Gerald Boggs said:

Everyone gets the good deal sometimes and the not so good other times.  Think how the blacksmiths of the Northwest felt about Delaware :-)  And Salt lake will be nothing compared to Memphis in 2010, that was just brutal.  As I recall, the heat at Rapid City had demonstrators going to the hospital.

I did not go to either Memphis or Rapid City because of the heat.  And from what I heard, I glad I missed them.

The Delaware conference had great facilities and the weather was perfect.  I think ABANA will have a hard time ever topping 2014.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2016 at 3:00 PM, Charlotte said:

Salt Lake in July is a vacation compared to what a lot of use experience on the US. Gulf Coast.  :)   You are saying if you can't stand the heat get out of Blacksmith's shop?

There will be many wonderful demonstrations. 

And I do.  I do not forge when it is over 80 degrees.  I do it for fun; not to ruin my health.