I Forge Iron

Helping hands vice grips

Pretty sure that these were just that for welding. Recently pulled these out from under a shelf when I wanted to weld up some chain. These were my grandfathers and I got them years ago after he passed. When I went to use them the top ( stationary) jaw was wiggly so I gave them a quick weld and they work perfect now.  

Anyone ever seen these before? Think I might be using them a lot more now. 

Also for those that have never seen them maybe an idea on something to make. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Lol Thomas.

They look factory to be honest. They could be made. 

I really wish I could have learned more from him. He lived 3 hours away and I was in my ignorant youth. Glad I had the sensibility to get some of his tools when I was just starting in auto body.  He was the kind of man that could make about anything. 

They look like inspired tinkerer to me, especially as I didn't see any markings on the flat that shows when it's in the vise.  My grandfather is still like that though slowing down a lot now he's in his 90's...He offered to come down and help me re-roof my house and I think he was disappointed in me when I told him we were paying to have a steel roof put on...

My picture IS the HF version, and you can see that the apparatus is a dead ringer for the original. Only the pliers themselves are different,

I could not find a photo of the original Vise Grip brand anywhere. I image that you would need to find an old VG catalog, or welding magazine from the 70's.

I found some info on the original patented "Vise Grip" over on the "Tool Talk" forum.  Text below is copied from a member's post.  If you search the "Tool Talk" forum for "vise grip", you can view pictures, other posts and other patent info on vise grips.  Petersen was a blacksmith in Nebraska.

" First model Vise Grip ca. 1921-1923.  These wrenches were designed by William Petersen on DeWitt, Nebraska. These drop forged wrenches (first model and second model) had the parts forged under contract in New York State (by J.H. Williams).  The parts were shipped to Nebraska and the tools were assembled in Peyersen's blacksmith shop in DeWitt. "