I Forge Iron

South African Blacksmiths

theimi

Hi South African Blacksmiths

you're still here?? Seems there's not that much interest which is a little bit sad as there is no forum in SA (as I know). OK, we are not that many in SA but at least quite a few... Let's start a discussion :), maybe we can organise a hammer in or create something different to promote blacksmithing in SA. Difficult times, thinking about leaving the country but who knows?

Any ideas? Come on, guys

I think there are alot more young eager inexperienced and undertrained blacksmiths here in SA, but they dont know how to get started, and they struggle to find people to physicly show them how to do it, i mean i learned alot from a few books and many youtube videos, but i am still searching in scrap yarda for anything that may help me where i found these anvils but not for sale ( dont know why). 

I think most people that are interested are not willing to go through so much struggling to get crappy equipment and at least practice with that and getting creative and at least getting started.

Not everyone is wiling to go through so much.

Greetings Luc

IMG-20151207-WA0001.jpeg

9 hours ago, Ratman151 said:

I think most people that are interested are not willing to go through so much struggling to get crappy equipment and at least practice with that and getting creative and at least getting started.

Not everyone is wiling to go through so much.

Maybe. But hey, that's blacksmithing, especially in South Africa. I do not even have a right anvil (and I make a living from blacksmithing). I built all my tools and machinery myself. In SA you may buy some new stuff, but therefor you need lots of money. At least I once made an apprenticeship as toolmaker which helped me a lot..

And it's difficult to get used tools & machinery here. I often have had a jealous view to europe or the states where people are happy if you take it away from them. or you get it for a few bucks...

Oh, one more thing. You learn the most (and quickly) by just doing it. That's the way I did it, too. Just do it & have fun.

Yeah, i use a piece of railroad, but i want to build a foot treadle grindstone, im still trying to forge my own tongs, im still struggling with just the basics but im building and learning with each forgeing. But here in Kimberley its hard to find anything that may br able to help you.

Groete Luc

Good day members

We are here, some of us starting from scratch..I was very fortunate to met Ian at his home where he showed a friend of mine and me what black smiting is all about.....as mentioned it will take me about two years to get to a point were I will be able to forge a lot more...I am focusing on forging cable ...that is the only medium I am interested in..

Gert Odendaal

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

I think it is a sign of the times that activity in this country has become muted.With the political and economic situation people are focusing more and more on surviving.  I myself did a lot more work a decade or so ago,simply because everything was a lot cheaper and easier to come by and markets were also more open.Having retired now I was expecting to put in a  lot more forge time but alas that has not happened, as there is always something else which gets in the way. 

However do not despair "Waar daar n wil is is daar n weg".If you want to connect with guys who have extensive experience especially in Bladesmithing try "Heavin Forge". Kevin and Heather are great people based in Dullstroom and offer a wide variety of courses albeit mainly aimed at knife making, but they also teach forging and if you can successfully forge a blade you can easily progress from there.

Also a lot of info is to be found on the net and in books and part of the fun is really the experimentation and repetition until you get it right.

Regards anvils the reason scrapyards will not sell is because antique dealers reserve such items and buy them up for a lot higher prices when they come in. I have sourced all my anvils from private sellers usually on outlying farms or farm auctions.But be prepared to pay good money.People have become aware of the prices these items fetch,mainly because they are coveted by the wealthy to use as garden ornaments.....Having said all this they are there, it only takes some looking.

• 2 months later...

Hermann,

Are you still at the same address as previous. 

I am also now retired but doing more forging than ever before. I still use that tool you made for me a good few years back.

If I hear back from you, and you so wish, I will pop in for a chat.

Regards,

Kevan

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Welcome aboard, Bluetick.  Glad to have you.  Greetings from 7500' (2286 meters) in SE Wyoming.

Your word for "discovered" in Africaans translated as "debunked" which means revealing falsity in English.  I don't think that was your intended meaning.  

There hasn't been anyone posting on the forum from South Africa for awhile but that doesn't mean they are not reading it or lurking.

If you put your general location in your profile it will help us answer your questions.  Many answers are dependent on geography.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."