I Forge Iron

My gas forge blows out

ytuyuty

I took an old farrier's gas forge with a front door, and converted it into a end loader. Open on both ends, so I can put long pieces through.

Problem is, with both ends open the flame keeps blowing out.

But if I cover one opening with fire bricks, it burns just fine.

WTF?

12235017_1069151779795541_8064191163029364421_n.jpg

12247163_1069609829749736_5172506062858654439_n.jpg

It looks like the openings on the ends are a modification from the original design in the first picture. The burners are designed for a certain amount of back pressure and the change has altered the back pressure. You can get some soft firebrick and reduce size of the openings till it runs properly.

It's breathing exhaust gasses. Does it sputter or just shut off?

Try making a shroud to either direct the exhaust away from the burners or isolate the burners from the exhaust. Two different things with the same effect. No need to get fancy to test the modifications if one works you can make it more permanent later. Try opening a short piece of small stove pipe or a large tin can and slipping it over the ends of the forge to direct the exhaust farther away from the burners. Or place an open ended pail over the burners so they're drawing air from farther away.

Those are just concept ideas, you get the idea? Heck, even aluminum foil might survive long enough to tell if something works.

Frosty The Lucky.

I've looked at the photo, and it seems unlikely that uptake of exhaust gas into burner intakes is the problem; not with the burners offset like that. But, he doesn't say whether or not the burners have flame nozzles attached, so lack of sufficient back pressure just could be his problem. I think the addition of flame nozzles will prove to be the simplest solution for it. Of course your idea of redirecting exhaust gas further away the the burners with  temporary structures is painless enough to be worth doing, just to eliminate the possibility. Stuffing a firebrick under the burners within the furnace should be a fairly painless way to check out the back pressure possibility, too.

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2015‎ ‎5‎:‎42‎:‎01‎, Frozenforge said:

It looks like the openings on the ends are a modification from the original design in the first picture. The burners are designed for a certain amount of back pressure and the change has altered the back pressure. You can get some soft firebrick and reduce size of the openings till it runs properly.

The new holes on the ends result in about 1/3 less area than the original front door. I would think that the back pressure would be slightly increased with the modification.

I'll have to take  a look at the flame nozzles.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, I took apart my forge, replaced a lot of the cracked lining with kaowool, and painted the inside with ITC-100.

The gas line has a regulator that I can adjust from 0 to 15 PSI.

The flame is blowing 6 inches out of both ends of the forge, and is bright yellow.

I am getting a lot of scale forming on the steel.

I tried to take photos of the flame outside of the forge, but it won't stay lit. Inside of the forge, you can't really see a flame to photograph, it's just a whirlwind of yellow and blue fire inside.

Adjusting the cylinder valve and regulator valve has no effect on the color of the flame. What else can I do to get a more reducing flame, beside buying new flame nozzles?

Block one end, semi-block the other end (allow for a chimney), start the forge with the gas turned on low, sit down and have a coffee.

You have to season the refractory. When the refractory kicks off, you will have finished your coffee. Continue as originally planned, leave some resistance in the end holes with bricks that you can adjust.the openings.

Neil

Yellow dragon's breath indicates a really rich burn and what you describe inside the forge is pretty solid confirmation. I'll bet the sound is a gentle hiss less intense than a punctured tire. Open the chokes up, that baby needs air. If they're open or there are no chokes there's probably something blocking the tubes. Critters love burners for nests. Perhaps the gas supply tubes got knocked out of alignment. The jets must be aimed straight down the center of the tube.

Your steel is NOT scaling IN the forge, not burning that rich. HOT steel WILL scale on contact with ambient air (27% oxy) just like it'll rust in open air, just much MUCH faster. Scale is something we just have to deal with, get used to brushing the piece on the way to the anvil or scale will get driven into the piece and texture it.

Frosty The Lucky.