I Forge Iron

bradley helve hammer 100lb

They are heavy and take up a lot of room. I think Skunkriver is about right on the weight I am away from home and can't lay my hands on "Pounding Out The Profits" Bradley's were industrial grade hammers, and had good control. The rubbers are a bit of a pain to replace, but if these were in running condition they are a wonderful find, and if they all need tons of repair and refitting they are still a very good find....

If you find a bigger power hammer... BUild a bigger shop!!! ;-)

And when you tell us you are getting paid to haul them away, then we can all be REALLY really jealous... instead of just really jealous;-)

Oh and if you can haul them to Quadstate in Troy OH the four weekend in September I am pretty sure it would be worth your while... ;-)

Hello,
I am new to the forum. I have also just acquired two Bradley hammers, one 200 lb. weight 7800 lbs. and a 500lb. weight 18000 lbs. I ran both hammers before the purchase and was very impressed. The 500 didn't have the control I expected, I think the belt was not treated properly. It had been cleaned often with Windex, to get the "gummy" off. It seem you would want it to slip more. Is there a dry powder someone could suggest?

DD,

I have excellent control with my Bradley 300 lb Guided helve. I use a spray on belt dressng, but that should not be necessary to give you better control, it just reduces some of the slipage and gives you a quicker start up since you have so much mass to get moving with on of these hammers. Make sure the belt is tight enough, or that you can make it tight enough. There is an adjustment for the postition of the idler arm and wheel located just in front of the drive wheel on this hammer. You may need to move this so that the idle are puts more tension on the belt when at rest than it does now. On my hammer, the belt will constantaly cycle, even when the hammer is not in motion.

Patrick

Well, it sounds as if they may be worth the drive and effort to get the hammers. I may hire a rigger and a lowboy trailer to drag these back to TN. Then I can take all the forges anvils, tongs and other small stuff on my truck. If anyone is interested in the Bradleys, just let me know. I should have all sorts of tools available around mid February.

Well I won't be far off. The site is in PA and i'm delivering a 100lb Little Giant to a friend in CT near Norwalk. If you are on the way I could stop by. That way I only have to drag two of them back. I am still calculating how much Sam Adams equals power hammer. Quite a bit I should think.