I Forge Iron

Moving to Charleston, WV

Just as the title says: I'll be moving to Charleston, WV within the next two months for a job at one of the local libraries, and I'm curious to see who is set up out there, what groups are nearby, and see if there's a chance to meet up with other smiths and get to know the community.

Thanks in advance for any input!

On 11/11/2015, 10:41:26, ThomasPowers said:

You will be closer to Quad-State!

Quad-State?

On 11/11/2015, 10:55:26, Steve Sells said:

You will be within 5 miles of Glenn Conner the owner of this nut house, I am sure he can make a few introductions .....

Thanks for that insight! Once I have more details of where I'll be in the area, I'll reach out to him (if he doesn't see this first).

Quad-State is the largest annual blacksmithing event in the USA if not the world.  Held every year in late September in Troy Ohio; I plan to be there next year only about a 1500 mile drive each way for me!  Besides top notch demonstrators---usually about 5 at the same time anyone who is registered can sell blacksmith related stuff in the tailgating areas and so it's probably the greatest blacksmith fleamarket in the world.  First year an anvil collector from NM went he bought 30 anvils---and had to go buy a trailer to haul them home and he didn't affect the total number available by much...

Look for me on Friday as I'll be wearing my lederhosen and an aloha shirt and the disreputable red hat, (baring bad weather)

21 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

So trains?  Fossils?  (Used to know a fellow near there building a viking faring...)

Honestly, whatever people find interesting. I like to know how many interesting things there are from numerous people so I have a collection of things to look into for fun as I explore the area.

21 hours ago, Steve Sells said:

make a set of Gaming Dice...

Balancing those are always a pain >_>