I Forge Iron

oh what a morning...(out hunting)

Dogsoldat

Don't know whether to laugh or cry... Took my daughter Anna out hunting with me and saw two mulie does. Shut the truck off dug out the binos and started watching for a while. Kept looking around funny ranged them at 295 yards and kept on watching... worked my way closer from the truck and mr 4pt comes out stands where I can almost get him. Right about then my helper gets out to see why I'm taking so long... and their gone... start walking to maybe get around them some place and 15 blue grouse take off, 100yards later on a grassy ridge we find last years shed. sooo darn close...  Later on a doe and her twins crossed the road so we watched for a bit went further up the road.  Hiked up to the cut line in the old logging block, kept seeing a few sign here and there.  Up near the top I look over and there are 2 deer with their heads together.  Spike mulie and a 2 point sparring.  Anna thought it was really cool once she spotted them.  they kept at it for a bit till they realized we were there.  Couldn't run away fast enough.  Home again empty handed, but the youngest is quite the trooper.  Biggest buck I've so close to getting yet.DSC02459.thumb.JPG.f75e00348ae0d56d5e0abDSC02460.thumb.JPG.e5660825b5408f00067ce

My youngest son and I watched a pair of whitetail bucks go at it one year.  One of them was a big stout guy; the other was a smaller 8 point.  While they fought, about 6-7 does watched.  The big one kept driving the little one right to the ground, was like watching David and Goliath had David chosen to go at it hand-to-hand without his sling.

Finally, the smaller buck had enough but before leaving, he ran around to the back of the does and cut two of them out then all three ran off.  The bigger buck was tired enough that he let it go and stayed put with the rest of the harem.

In the end, the little one got what he wanted but had to take a whuppin' beforehand.

We didn't shoot either one - I thought they both deserved to have some fun...

I read your post earlier today but didn't really have much to contribute. Now however the movie, "The Beverly Hillbillies" is on the toob and your post comes to mind. Anything bubblin up from the ground?

Okay, so I still don't have anything to contribute but it was a cool image. Better luck next time . . . you miss the game. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Your quite right Charles.   Was a good day all told.   Couldn't find him last night or this morning but a bunch of does trickled out as it was getting light enough to see.  I'm sure he was there somewhere.  Worst part now is there are a few hunters on quads working around my spot something hard.  guess that's the way the cookie crumbles