I Forge Iron

Meyer Machine Tool Co. Mark Treadle/Power Hammer?

Is anybody familiar with the inline treadle hammer produced by the Meyer Machine Tool Company?  I've been on the road full time for over a year with a mobile cymbal shop built into a gutted and reinforced cabover truck camper.  So far, I've used my 50lb LG to pre-process all of the cymbal blanks I take with me with one round of power hammering each.  Then, I have to finish them with hand hammering out on the road.  It sure would be nice to take a treadle hammer with me. And, the MMTC hammer has an optional power pack to turn the thing into an air-driven hammer.

Anybody know anything about this hammer and its "power pack"?

Thanks,
Matt

Hi I bought one about 10 years ago, 2 of the bearings on the tub guide cracked I called them up and they sent  replacements right away. I don't use the power pack a real lot but it  came in handy fullering some railings in a die on a long heat when I couldn't  get to the treadle. I'm very happy with it.    John 

• 11 months later...

Total weight 375 lbs:  Head weight 65 lbs. That puts the structure to flying-weight ratio at about 4 to 1 (deducting a little weight for the non-structural mechanical interlinks). Those numbers don't sound very compatible without putting some serious strain and potential fatigue on the structure shown.  No, I'm not complaining--just suggesting that if one purchases this machine, one should probably begin planning their future structural and mechanical  improvements starting the first day rather than waiting until something eventually fails.  You might be a winner and it runs flawlessly forever but....never hurts to be proactive.

• 2 years later...

I own one. I really like the hammer. I'm not terribly sure about the power pack. I think it may be useful with a big enough compressor to back it up. I just can't get it to hit very hard with the power pack at the moment. Otherwise the hammer is great. The only other thing I might add is the anvil is tubing and hollow I'm thinking of filling it with concrete and led.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to get it to hit harder with the power pack I would like to hear them. 

No just a normal Craftsman air compressor, that is not large enough I believe. My compressor is a small 20 gallon rated at a Max of 125 psi and 13 cfm at 90 psi.

Would an accumulator help in this situation. Even with the compressor full and the flows both set at 125 on both the regulator and the filter it just doesn't seem to hit very hard at all.