I Forge Iron

Railing for the neighbours new steps

Started the railing yesterday,  slow but steady going.  Not overly happy with my collar.  First one was a touch to short,  but the material played nice.  second one was too thick of stock and wouldn't form the way I wanted.  Doesn't move like A36, tough stuff even with a  good heat.  Poke around at work tomorrow and see what is laying in a corner.  Bound to be something and third times a the charm...  first one was a strip off a scrap of tubing,  the little lip kind of rolled up when I chiseled the grooves.  Made for a rolled bead along the edge.  I know the center piece needs some support on the sides.  Managed to break my dog wrench so made up another, went surprisingly quick.  Not sure if the scrolls should be collared as well.

DSC02436.JPG

DSC02437.JPG

DSC02438.JPG

DSC02439.JPG

DSC02440.JPG

DSC02441.JPG

DSC02442.JPG

DSC02443.JPG

Check the local building codes.  Some places have a specification for the maximum opening in that kind of railing. May be as small as three inches in diameter. 

Oh, and yes I like your work here.  Just thinking about liability.

Remember the old trick from before they standardized children's furniture safety standards: if a gap is too small for a Coke can, it's too small for a baby's head.

Thanks for the input guys. Thinking the extra collars is the right way to go.  I'll have to do some checking on spacing.  The original panel is 6" between the uprights.  Be the weekend before I have much time to play again.  I'll have to check out that sheep paneling  Charles.

Code requires that a 4" ball can't pass with 50 pounds of force applied to it.  At the very bottom between the stair treads and the bottom of the railing, that's a 6" ball.

The work looks great, and that collar is nothing to be ashamed of.  Regardless of whether or not they have kids who might get injured you have to build for the visiting child or the one who might live in that house in 20 years.

I built a railing for my place where the pickets had bends and twists.  I placed them 3 15/16" apart at the top and bottom, but the bends and twists created spaces over 4" so the inspector made me close it up.  I welded in a bunch of 4" rings with a 3" ID wherever I could fit one in.  My original plan was to remove them after the inspector left, but in the end they looked nice and added to the appearance so I left them in.

I never got a collar to look as good as your so I never put them on.  I should try again.