I Forge Iron

Swage block...or whatever...?

I just tripped over some material that's been sitting around the shop for 15 years and thought I'd toss out some "water cooler talk" just to see if someone had opinions and ideas.  Nothing pressing or important--just got me thinking.

A machinist friend made a mistake and ended up with 4 blocks of 4140, parallel blanchard ground faces, 8" x 8.5" x 3.5" which he traded to me for some magic beans. He wanted them gone because the expensive mistake angered him every time he saw the darned things sitting in the corner of his shop. They're roughly 60 lbs each.

Since my screaming toe decided to start the conversation, I got to thinking about what I should do with them...possibly swage blocks of some sort?  Anything on your wish list that you'd make from blocks like that? Some sort of swage block you never get around to making but would if the material landed on your toe?  Other suggestions? Something on your wish list?

Just fishing for ideas. 

Well you're near enough to me. One of them would make a good start on a striking anvil. PM me if you're interested in a trade or just want to get rid of one of them. As is one in a stump would also make a potential anvil for a starter or someone using a block to show all you need is something heavy to hit on.

You could make a lot of stuff out of them, the first thing that came to mind was a striking anvil like Rashelle said. the second thing that came to mind was a "dedicated work block" anvil for making one item or doing one process over and over again.  there is a youtube somewhere of a power hammer with a dedicated bottom die for making tongs that was just spitting them out.

Russell 

Another option would be an anvil like Brian Brazeal uses. I can't think of a description for it at the moment though other then could go something like a swage block on it's side with built in bottom fullers, hammering face, and butcher. Which is not a good description but sounds like a good idea, lol.

After seeing the simpler design of the Kinyon style power hammer, using them as power hammer dies was on my list as a possibility.  That style of hammer is quite doable for my fab shop vs some of the other designs.  

Thanks to all for ideas.  Until I actually decide and do something (and get off my lazy backside), the blanks are just boat anchors so any suggestion helps.