I Forge Iron

split cross

MarkDobson

so i decided i would give myself a break from all the large stock i like to play with and try something small. i didnt realize how small untill i started the project tho lol. I didnt have any square stock so i took some 3/8" round and made it square(ish),was probably 1/4in square and then did the normal split cross stuff. after two failed attempts at splitting it with a chisel i finally gave up and got the hacksaw. never realized how hard it it to hold onto something so small lol. guess i need to make some pick up tongs or something to hold small stock better.

Well here it is anyways, pretty ugly but owell, was a good way to end the forging session

IMAG0189.jpg

Mark, on the 1/4" split crosses I use a pair of vice grips to guide the cuts into a band saw, then once heated I use two pairs of needle nose pliers to pull them apart...at that size it seems, to me at least, to work best.  

I tried a few 1/8" split crosses a few weeks ago, just for the heck of it...cut 12 blanks and got 5 keepers!   At that size the teensiest loss of heat and they were splitting open on me.   It was fun to try, but I'll stick to the 1/4"!

Edited by SpankySmith

Come on there Spanky.....I know yer better than 41% success rate. But the cuts do have to be almost perfect for 1/8". I'm up to about 90% now.....practice, practice, practice......I can't make em' fast enough.           Take care            Dave

Hey ...It's just a little propane job on a 1lb cylinder.........cut me some slack...lol  I think I read somewhere that it's ok to use whatever it takes to get the proper end result. You know, like a stick welder to make a Damascus billet . Just sayin'          Dave

lol i was using my coal forge for mine and had to forge round stock square(which wasnt really even, which is obvious by the "legs" on the cross, also, i used a hacksaw to cut the split. then i split it open with a chisel and trimmed the "legs" with the chisel as well. i also went to grab it with my wolf jaw tongs at one point and promptly buried it into the fire and had to hurry to get it out before i melted it. i have to admit they are pretty fun and simple to make. its nice to see a project come together in a heat or so 

im glad i got you two goin lol, id love to see pics of your guys crosses. im thinkin im gunna have to practice forging out crosses this weekend now and i  guess i will have to get blades for the portaband as well since i dont feel like using the hack saw on all of them

so i decided i would give myself a break from all the large stock i like to play with and try something small. i didnt realize how small untill i started the project tho lol. I didnt have any square stock so i took some 3/8" round and made it square(ish),was probably 1/4in square and then did the normal split cross stuff. after two failed attempts at splitting it with a chisel i finally gave up and got the hacksaw. never realized how hard it it to hold onto something so small lol. guess i need to make some pick up tongs or something to hold small stock better.

Well here it is anyways, pretty ugly but owell, was a good way to end the forging session

I think it looks good, especially for such a small stock in a coal forge. It would look good on some leather cord. I have had one already cut in 1/4" for a couple of weeks that I haven't gotten around to opening up yet.  I'll probably "cheat"  and try it in the gasser when I go to work on some others :)

Those in Spanky's pic are really nice.

Edited by norrin_radd

• 2 weeks later...