I Forge Iron

bronze sword

Tempered Warrior

There's a reason why bronze was replaced by iron (and iron by steel).  If you make one it will be decorative.  Like steel, bronze must by handled properly to get the most out of it.  But compairing the best bronze to the best steel (we'll set the steel @ 10)  I'd say the bronze would be a 3.  (wood =1).  That's my opinion, I just forge guards out of the stuff and haven't tried a blade, yet.

Bronze can be fun to work, it squishes good. In the event you are forging it rather then stock removal or casting. Whichever way Bronze won't compare to steel as for use. Though they can be pretty impressive looking. You can work harden the edge some by hammering it cold till it "stiffens" up and seems to get harder. You could also use a brass/copper or other mallet to help with that.

There are a WIDE RANGE of bronze alloys.  Work hardened bronze is about as hard as low carbon wrought iron---why they switched is you can find iron ore all over the place, tin is MUCH rarer!---Want to sail an iron age boat from the Mediterranean to Cornwall and back?   As for comparing the two WHAT TYPE OF SWORD?

Search for "bronze sword" on Youtube and you can easily find some pretty good videos testing out bronze swords.  They definitely bend more easily than steel, but their edges seem to hold up surprisingly well on the ones I've seen.

I tried to post a link, but the forum seems to be increasingly buggy and did not play nicely.