I Forge Iron

Big Walnut

njanvilman

Now comes the REAL chore---you need to stare at it for a while to decide what cut direction will get you the most of the best.  

.....and come up with a good story for the grandkids about how you lifted the crotch and carried it there it all by yourself :-)

I'd be really anticipating to see the patterns awaiting me in that. Great score Josh. Were it mine and were I as ignorant about pattern development in wood as I AM, I'd be seriously thinking about finding a hardwood forum and asking. Of course I suppose there are guys here who know how to expose grain patterns in big old crotches like yours. (Sorry I just couldn't resist)

Failing finding someone who knew I'd start out sawing a plank off each side and make a cube from it. that'd give me some windows into it's soul. If the first slabs were a little on the thick side I could then saw them at angles and see.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'd be really anticipating to see the patterns awaiting me in that. Great score Josh. Were it mine and were I as ignorant about pattern development in wood as I AM, I'd be seriously thinking about finding a hardwood forum and asking. Of course I suppose there are guys here who know how to expose grain patterns in big old crotches like yours. (Sorry I just couldn't resist)

Failing finding someone who knew I'd start out sawing a plank off each side and make a cube from it. that'd give me some windows into it's soul. If the first slabs were a little on the thick side I could then saw them at angles and see.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, I have been sawing lumber for 35 years, and know how to get the best out of the log.  And we have a saw capable of cutting 60" wide, in perfectly parallel slabs.  Pics to follow once we begin sawing.  Just waiting for sweatshirt weather.

Frosty, I have been sawing lumber for 35 years, and know how to get the best out of the log.  And we have a saw capable of cutting 60" wide, in perfectly parallel slabs.  Pics to follow once we begin sawing.  Just waiting for sweatshirt weather.

See? I KNEW there was someone on Iforge who'd know! NAILED another one. ;)

I'll be looking for the pics.

Frosty The Lucky.