I Forge Iron

My first forge build at about 85%

Thought I would share the build on here. I still have to fab and install the ash dump, the lower shelf and in the blower and electric box. The blower has a dial to increase flow up to 300cfm but I want to wire the control to the side of the forge so I don't have to bend over. 

The fire pot is 1/2" thick plate on bottom and sides. The front legs have wheels so it can be moved around pretty much just like a wheel borrow. the vertical pipe on the fire pot is 4" the air port is 2" (didn't have a 4x4 tee so worse case I may have to cut off the 2" leg and fishmouth on a 4" pipe.

IMG_0783.JPG

IMG_0784.JPG

IMG_0782.JPG

That's going to be a fine looking forge when it's finished.  One suggestion I might make regarding your tuyere and grid.  Those rebars will burn through in no time.  Best if you can find some sort of thick cast iron with holes or wide slots and drop it in the bottom.  No need for welding...it ain't goin' nowhere with it's weight and coal/coke piled on top of it.  Holes seem to work better for me, since the slots tend to warp and have been known to burn through quicker.  A thick piece of steel, say 1/2" with holes would do nicely.  Easily replaced if and when it goes by the wayside.

Happy forging!

• 3 weeks later...

I like the smooth top, but before it gets any use weld the 1" flat around the fire pot to the underside of the table, dont think it would fall thru then. 

I welded in 4 clip angles under the table for some added reinforcing. It is 1/2" steel on the pot and the table top is 1/4". It is full penetration weld around the entire perimeter. I will be keeping an eye on it for any cracking. if it does I will probably weld on a flange to the pot and angles to the underneath to slide the pot into. I really wanted to maintain a smooth top if I can, or one that is recessed below. Here's hoping.

I would mount the blower under the front of the table. Mount it so the knob is easy to reach.  You may need more tubing but that blower should empty your fire pot on full blow.

once I am sure it will run as I hope I plan on putting the blower control on the leg that is front and right in the picture. I agree it ahs to be handy and I sure don't want to be bending to adjust it.

• 3 months later...

Finally got it fired up. ran very well. wired in a rheostat on the blower at table height to avoid bending. just ran a couple hooks and a poker and a rake. getting enough heat is not an issue with this fan. I actually melted off the very first piece I put in the fire. I didn't expect it to heat up quite as fast as it did. 

Forge.JPG