I Forge Iron

Hello from Minnesota

Adam R

Hello IFI. I have been reading for a few months now, and decided to finally write my introduction post. I learned to weld in HS, and have been repairing/fabricating things at work (Facilities) for around 15 yrs. I wanted to start blacksmithing to make wood working tools that I couldn't afford. I have made a few projects with an OA torch (hammer head adzes, hatchet, bolt tongs for RR spikes, etc), and have since become addicted. I have been using a borrowed PW anvil that sits on a three legged sand and oil filled basebase, with a wood spacer, that I made after seeing similar designs here. I have a chunk of rail I was given that I will be standing on end to make an anvil like Charles Stevens made, as it will fit my budget, space, needs for a very long time. I joined the Metalsmith Guild of MN, and attended my first meeting on Wednesday evening. I have also registered for the beginner blacksmith course in October. At the meeting I met some great people, and saw cool demonstrations. I also learned about some open forge opportunities for any experience level. I will be going to my first one next weekend, where I hope to learn a lot. I know that I got started out of order, but I am working on tempering my enthusiasm, and learning the basics ( no swords :-). I plan to make a propane forge with a Frosty-T burner since the OA is expensive/inefficient, but that will need to wait until after my classes. I was going to post pics, but it is not letting me.

Welcome aboard Adam, glad to have you. Another member of the huge demographic of wood workers who only wanted to make that one plane blade or chisel, or. . . whatever who is now blacksmithing instead. You have many companions in that category. You betcha.

You're doing it right too, getting hooked up with the local organization provides so many opportunities it's hard to explain. Watching is invaluable and getting some open forge time with someone there to tell you what you're doing wrong goes a looonnnggg way to flattening the learning curve.

Frosty The Lucky.

LOL! Thanks for the kind welcome. There are worse things than this dark side. I have been thinking that some cross discipline projects could be very cool. Thomas, where about are you in NM? My in-laws are in ABQ.

Hey! Welcome to the forum. I spent a lot of time scrounging around to get the parts for my forge together. 

The folks here have been very helpful in all of my silly questions. I'm not a fan of formal education, so I've been hammering it out myself, so to speak. 

I'm in central Minnesota, myself.