I Forge Iron

About JHM and Emerson anvils?

Hello all, I am indubitably dubious regarding choosing between jhm 260lb and a emerson traditional 200lb anvil. Any experienced blacksmith/iron worker with these brands? How is the rebound of Jhm compared to emerson? Does anyone have a problem with jhm being ductile iron the rockwell hardness hereof is 48-52 compared to emerson's 48-50 rockwell hardened 4140 steel. I like the emerson better for some reason, I just want someone with some experience good or bad with these brands. Lastly, did anyone have any bad experience with anvilbrand.com or centaurforge.com blacksmith suppliers, as I shall purchase one of these anvils from them. Thanks all. 

The shop that I hammer at has 5 JHM Shapers (160#) on our student forges.  They all still have fairly good edges (they were never dressed, not my call), and are surviving the abuses of novice hammer control and somewhat heavy forging (hammers, axes, one guy even did a gun barrel when classes were slow) very well.  They've been used 6 hours solid, every saturday (excepting during the summer [mostly] and the winter holidays), for the past 10 years when they were bought new.

Even though the edges weren't dressed, they're slightly rounding on their own (1/8" - 1/4" radius) in the high use areas, without any serious chipping.  

All in all, a very solid competitor...oops, those ones weigh 250#.  Haven't tried one of those yet.

Hope this helps.

Centaur and Anvil Brand are both excellent businesses. You shouldn't go wrong dealing with either.

I'd be inclined to agree that JHM's are better in the bigger models. Keep away from their horseshoers models as they leave a bit to be desired. Emerson's are excellent. One of the best contemporary made anvils you can get out there right now.

George

Thanks all, you are doing great. I am taking all your comments to heart. I am more informed and directed towards the correct anvil. George thanks for the comment about the Emerson anvils that really helps me out. I think it is all a matter of propensity towards wherein ones heart dwells as to features and weight now.