After abortive attempts at overthinking, we settle on a nice rivet forge

JHCC

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

What's all the mud doing on the back plate, do you build fires THAT big? Really, it's just a wind break and shouldn't be getting hot enough to need shielding.

Frosty The Lucky.

You're just noticing that now, Frosty? It's been that way for a year now!

Seriously, though, the back plate is mudded up because it's galvanized, and I'd just been reading about metal fume fever when I did the initial mudding. Probably unnecessary, as you say, but it's not in the way.

5 hours ago, JHCC said:

You're just noticing that now, Frosty? It's been that way for a year now!

Seriously, though, the back plate is mudded up because it's galvanized, and I'd just been reading about metal fume fever when I did the initial mudding. Probably unnecessary, as you say, but it's not in the way.

You think I pay attention to you A-L-L the time? :rolleyes: I did remember seeing it but didn't recall asking the obvious.

Yeah unnecessary you have to get zinc orange hot to get it to burn. Toss a LITTLE piece of galvy wire in the forge and watch the show. Blue green flame wisp of feathery white smoke. What you're really watching for is how hot it has to get to burn.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...

Well, the re-claying did not work out. I couldn't get a decent fireball, as the fuel tended to spread out and lose heat. I just redid the clay again, this time with a better duck's nest. 

IMG_1695.JPG

(The wood frame is something I'm trying, an extension of the top surface of the forge to keep excess coal from dribbling off onto the floor. It's removable, in case it doesn't work out.)

(And note, Frosty, that the mud is gone from the windscreen.)

Mmmm, huh, wha? Whozzat? Mud on the windscreen is why I keep the windshield washer bottle full. I mean . . . DUH! :rolleyes:

You're still getting too carried away with the clay, it should be 1" maybe 2" thick tops. My duck's nests are rarely more than 4" around, I use an old cereal bowl that sockets into the tuyere when the air grate is out and centers nicely. I try to get the clayed pan as flat and smooth as I can so I can lay fire bricks around the duck's nest and customize the fire.

Frosty The Lucky.