I Forge Iron

Working on my Mayer 25lb

I drilled the second rod end last night. 

I was going to install everything, but am going to do a little sandblasting to get all the layers of grease off the hammer. 

I just need to find time.

Also looking for some rubber to go under the hammer once I am ready to place it in my shop.  I found some one-inch thick rubber pad at tractor supply co.  Can't find it online tho.  It looked like a 3 ft by 4 ft.

seemed perfect

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I used carb and brake cleaner to get the 100 years of oil and grease off mine, then freaked out the employees by taking it to the car wash to use the power sprayer to strip the sludge and old paint off.

I'd be pretty nervous using a sand blaster on it for contaminating the babbit bearings with sand. I understand the principle of pouring babbit and could probably pull it off but would rather not. Solvents won't hurt anything important on an old mechanical power hammer but blowing sand into the works?

Frosty The Lucky.

I was going to bag the crankshaft area and only blast below it. Most of the grunge is below that.  The crankshaft on this is not split like the LG.  It is completely sealed.  But, I do think you have a valid concern. I will seal that area really well before doing anything.

i really appreciate all the information you have given me, Frosty.

thanks!