I Forge Iron

Bent Vise Leg

Daniel S

I picked up a small vise at Quad State a couple of years ago.  I finally got around to straightening it.  Having a vise already mounted really helped with tweaking it, but I did most I've the straightening on the anvil.  It took a little bit to get it hot, but was an easy fix.  Don't let a bent leg scare you away from a vise, try to use it as a bargaining point.

IMG_20150802_112450_zpsxg5s595v.jpg

IMG_20150802_125739_zpssedodxau.jpg

IMG_20150802_150526_zpsiapuhz9u.jpg

Uh Daniel . . . I don't have a leg vise with a leg as straight as the one in the first pic. They both work just fine now, will straightening them actually make them BETTER!? :o

:P Nothing wrong with dressing things up to your liking it's not like it'll hurt a leg vise. Looks good Daniel.

Frosty The Lucky.

Lol. It was bent in all directions.  I wish I had been able to take pics of the straightening , but I was by myself. I was only trying to show people that they didn't have to find perfect tools to still make them work. It was the worst I had at home.  

Lol. It was bent in all directions.  I wish I had been able to take pics of the straightening , but I was by myself. I was only trying to show people that they didn't have to find perfect tools to still make them work. It was the worst I had at home.  

It was? Knot that I could tell.

Frosty The Lucky.

Just warm it up and pop it under the press….

Optionally, ask someone to prove their striking skills...or ask someone to hold it while you improve yours.

Seriously,  you should be able to do that single handed fairly readily by removing the front/swinging jaw, heating up around the eye area and grasping your newly straightened leg like a sledge hammer handle, whack the square bit of the shaft below the eye down onto the anvil which you have protected with a piece of 3/4" plywood. The weight and momentum of the overhanging jaw and eye will continue onward pulling itself straight. 

If it is hot enough, that size of wrought iron will actually go quite easily with a reasonable sized hand hammer.

Remember that the jaw will likely be faced with a bit of carbon steel so do not let that bit get hot or you will soften it.

Alan

Edited by Alan Evans