I Forge Iron

portible champion forge

Nick O

Many fust let ash and cinder accumilate, adding clay makes them heavier (les potable) and if stored out side, the castic water (ash+ water= lye) traped between the liner and the forge pan eats it up. If shelterd and you dont plan to move it for demoes, any local clay soil will work fine ask around or look in the road bank cuts of not a potery house can fix you up, ask for a heavaly "groged clay" or go to a masonry suply and get a bag of fire clay and sand, mix dry anout 1 part clay and two parts sand. Put in a plastic buket with a lid and add water. Let set a day ir three and check to see if its wet enugh (should hold but not tranfer moister or mud to your hands) if not at a bit more water and alow to "case" again, to wet take off the lid and let dry, case again for a few days to wet the crusties

look up "ducks nest" to get an isea how to form a fire pot witht he clay for effecency

is it ok if I took some dirt from my garden which has a high amount of clay in it and made it wet broke all the clumped dirt and mixed it and put it in my forge I just got done doing half the forge just to see how it would look now I am just letting it dry in the sun?

Nick O  

Is it indoors, or outdoors? Indoors, clay it if you like. Outdoors like mine, I wouldn't. As Charles mentioned , a liner can trap water between it and the pan causing rust. Mine sits outside, and gets rained on, but it dries out quick without a liner.

Fuel can also make a difference, coal has sulfur which can be acidic.

• 2 weeks later...

is it ok if I took some dirt from my garden which has a high amount of clay in it and made it wet broke all the clumped dirt and mixed it and put it in my forge I just got done doing half the forge just to see how it would look now I am just letting it dry in the sun?

Nick O  

If your soil is like mine, you've probably got a layer of topsoil that's a mixture of clay, silt or sand, and organic material, over a subsoil that's more pure clay. Go for the pure clay subsoil if you have it.