I Forge Iron

New from Northern Virginia

Tank540

Hello everyone, i look forward to meeting and learning from ya'll, my name is Joshua. I'm 32 from Northern Virginia, me and my wife are homesteaders/preppers and blacksmithing/bladesmithing is a craft that has fascinated me from childhood. I've recently dedicated a lot of time to reading, researching, watching videos, etc... in preparation to begin my journey into the world of smitty. I believe I've found a fisher anvil and rivet forge locally that will suit me and hopefully be picking it up very soon if all works out. I've really taking a liking to work done with railroad spikes and most of my creations/projects will involve them using them other than the round stock i'm getting to make my own tongs. Any advice, suggestions, etc....i thank you in advance and if by any chance their is anyone on here from my area that would be a bonus!!

Ah! You just missed me. I moved out if NOVA a couple months ago. Great area to pick up the hammer. I'd suggest hitting up all the colonial towns and stopping by the blacksmith shops. See if you can tell which ones are actors and which ones have real smiths. You should also be able to find a good amount of tools at flea markets and antique shops because of the numerous colonial towns around the area.