I Forge Iron

my new post vice

Austin Ferraiuolo

Just a thought: That leg appears to be threaded. Could this be a wagon tongue vice missing its lower mounting bracket? The proportions look a little different than other post vices. 

Edit: A quick google search of images of wagon vices seems to suggest that yours is, in fact, a wagon vice, but with a different mounting bracket. 

Edited by Ridgewayforge

Yes, It would still be useful as a black smithing vise. The wagon vises were just more mobile than a traditional post vise. Still just as functional though. You could mount using the original bottom mount, or weld on/cobble on a leg. The choice is yours. what is the Jaw size?

Does NOT look like a wagon vise at all to me; just a typical postvise with a common break---many of the post vises had a forge weld at that location and so failure is not unknown.  Not knowing YOUR access to tools or YOUR skills make it hard to suggest what YOU should do.  Most recent one I worked on had a greenstick break forming at that location.  As a smithing meeting we forged out a strip of wrought iron and spiral wound it around the crack and forge welded it into a solid band.  If you have little access or tools I would just slip a piece of blackpipe around the nub that would go to the ground plate and be a prosthetic leg for your leg vise